Sunday, December 18, 2005

The SerialPod Debut

Asheville, North Carolina played epicenter to the Noodling Wankworld this weekend, with more than 7,000 assorted wooks and squares lining up for admission to have their faaaaces melllted at the 17th Annual Warren Haynes Christmas Jam.

I'm sure the entire show kicked names and took ass -- wait, strike that, reverse it -- but I'm personally more interested in the debutante trio we can now call SerialPod: Phish's Trey and Mike with the Grateful Dead's Bill Kreutzmann.

I just hope the hundreds of thousands of fans who possess that intense I'd-kill-for-you love for both the Dead and the popular rock band Phish don't put too much undue pressure on what can very well be the biggest connection of dots in their musical lives.

And as I hinted at in yesterday's link post, the trio indeed played Cumberland Blues > Chalkdust Torture. I'm overly anxious to listen to that opener and the rest of their set, which appears to be full of experimental jams and interesting segues. Let's get on tour, fellas, America needs to be able to decide whether this really is an ideal fantasy realized. No tour = Communism.

The good folks at the Asheville Citizen-Times have been kind enough to post some short videos of each performance of their website, including two of the new trio in action:

SerialPod video: Numero uno, numero dos.

SerialPod audio
: Click here for the 12/17 Torrent. Also, click here for the SerialPod Xmas Pre-Jam .mp3 file from Friday night at The Orange Peel: Wave The Ocean > Goin' Down Slow*, Iko Iko*, Sugaree - *w/ Ivan Neville and Warren Haynes.

SerialPod 12/17 set: Cumberland Blues > Chalk Dust Torture > On a Plain (Nirvana) > Wave The Ocean > Sweet Thing (Van Morrison) > Waves* > Angel* (Jimi Hendrix) > Loose Lucy*

*with Ivan Neville on keys

courtesy Trey's From the Road section

(I know Billy's son Justin has stopped by this here rag a few times, and if you're reading this, what's the inside story behind the origin of that band name?! Also, thanks -- this pic courtesy of Justin Kreutzmann.)

8 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

That sure was fun!

Those video clips that newspaper used sure didn't look good though.

But it's great you have them up. I forwarded it to Mike. Wait until you see what stuff I have. The band was very nice and let me film everything. Even them coming up with the name.

But the real jewl is the soundcheck on the afternoon of the 17th. Gonna to cut together something with a jam from that.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Yeah, the paper's clips weren't very good at all, but at least it's a visual (for someone who couldn't make it there...). The Asheville Citizen-Times was all over the Haynes Xmas Jam, and for that, I'm thankful.

I can't wait to see what you have on film, that'll be cool as hell to watch...especially the band name derivation, as I can't even fathom how one comes up with such a moniker.

I'll be stalking your site relentlessly until I see those vids on there! Thanks, Justin.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

Yeah I'm watching the footage now. There's some great stuff. Also I've been noticing the set lists people have been posting from the show. No one caught that the jam out of the 'Chalkdust' song is a Miles Davis song from 'A Tribute To Jack Johnson.'

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Some Dude said...

Can't wait to see some of that footage. Have to say been listening to the show all morning and it's damn good. The jams out of On A Plain and Sweet Thing are damn good. Seems like Billy was really pushing them on the second one.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Wow, Justin, I didn't catch that at all...I'm gonna have to go back and give that one another listen.

SomeDude, I'm with ya big time on Sweet Thing...I thought Loose Lucy was the best overall tune in the Saturday set, but the jam in Sweet Thing was FANNNNTASTIC.

It's been a good Monday listening to this stuff...

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Some Dude said...

I think I'm kind of partial to Cumberland Blues, but Loose Lucy was a great way to end the set.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

i can't stop listening to this now, it's awesome. it was a little annoying that i had to read PT first, where the first post said something along the lines that trey seemed drugged up and out of it. at least it seems like people are shouting that view done. the music definitely speaks to the contrary, and sounds great for the bands first live performance together. i really hope that i get to see the trio.

i also can't wait to see the footage you have justin. i checked out "the thrill is gone" and "the wheel" videos on your blog and they were awesome!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

Trey is in great form. I spent everyday for that week with him and he was clear, bright-eyed and sharp. If he's using (and he's 100% not) I want some of that brain food!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home