Monday, December 05, 2005

Sunday's View from the Couch

Nothing like spending time with rival team owners and a Slingbox on the last day of the 2005 fantasy football season. Technology always seems to come through in the clutch...only when it's not an utter necessity or emergency.

Sunday Checklist: One big-screen, high-definition television with DVR showing the regularly scheduled game of the week (left); one large makeshift cardboard projection screen; one InFocus projector; one cord to connect the projector to a computer; one TiVo-equipped Slingbox attached to a friend's cable box (with DirecTV and Sunday Ticket); one or two rogue wireless laptops for fantasy and NFL scores and red-zone notifications; a room full of happy football fans.


This is the way Sundays were meant to be. Of course, at 4:45 I had to leave for a familial gathering on Lawn Gisland -- I mean, who schedules a dinner on a Sunday in December? -- but the early games provided me with just about all the fun I needed for one day. Hey, at least I got home in time for that hysterical Curb finale.

Congrats to the players and coaches of my Double Wing (Double Wing) football squad. It's been a heck of a year, and we're riding a three-game winning streak into the playoffs (playoffs?). Go get 'em in the postseason, D-Dub-Squared.

Slack Link of the Day: This is making its way 'round the ol' Internets, and if you haven't read it yet, check out David Cross' open letter to Larry the Cable Guy. The brilliance that David Cross puts into everything he does is unparalleled.

Slack Song of the Day: The November 18-19 weekend was truly ridiculous, an aural all-you-can-listen buffet of Tea Leaf Green and Umphrey's McGee. The former ripped it up with six killer sets at Coda, the latter played four (of which I caught two), adding Huey Lewis to the mix for a scrumptuous dessert.

So here's TLG's Ride Together and Baseball Jam, as well as UM's The Triple Wide and Heart and Soul with Huey.

Slack Question of the Day: December 30th, the Vitalis Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas -- it's Northwestern versus UCLA. That's gonna be a sweet game. But it looks like every traditional New Years' Day bowl game has been moved to the 2nd. Any idea why there are NO college football games on New Years' Day? That's just an atrocious decision.

14 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Trix said...

Am I nuts, or am I really seeing cardboard boxes taped together with the game projected on it?

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger ethan said...

the david cross letter is a thing of beauty - just like that multi-media set up.

also, eli's 3rd pick had no business getting called back. aaron glenn got hosed on that PI call.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Yes, cardboard boxes...the better question should be, who has a projector in their apartment? I guess it pays to hang around technophiles and engineers. Seriously, the Slingbox should be required in every household.

And if I were a Giants fan, I would NOT be thrilled with the way Eli has looked lately. After a great stretch at the start the season, he hasn't played a solid game start to finish since right around the Bye week. It also doesn't help that he looks retarded. "Duhhh, blue 80, huyk."

Aaron Glenn, the Jets' most overrated cornerback ever.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

Did you really use "scrumptuous" and "Huey Lewis" in the same sentence?

If Huey Lewis were more popular, I could see him getting his own ice cream flavor. Gooey Lewis or something.

He lost serious points for me that night by needing to hold a lyric sheet for "The Weight." Come on, there's no excuse for that.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous en regalia said...

alright, without cheating, bust out the lyrics to the weight

shit i forgave the DEAD very early for using teleprompters with respect to songs they had even written! made for a more solid performance

at least gooey huey did not have to read for "heart and soul"

remember he is performing the richard gere role in "chicago" on broadway every night as well, with all those lyrics swimming around.

give the guy a break

whats his name from YMSB had to use a sheet for sister christian ferchissakes, ne?

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

I just think it's unprofessional. I've performed open-mic night a few times, and I NEVER read from a piece of paper. It's disrespectful to your audience, in my opinion.*

I'm not a professional musician. That said, he's my best bet (no cheating):

I rolled into Nazareth, I was feeling 'bout half past dead. I just needed a place where i could lay my heeea-ad. Say, mister, can you tell me where a man mind find a bed? He just smiled and shook his head, "no" was all he said.

take a load off... (chorus)

I picked up my bag, I went looking for a place to hide. When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side.I say hey Carmen, come on, let's go downtown. She said I can't go but my friend can stick around.

Crazy Chester followed me and caught me in the fog. He said I'll something something if you take Jack my do-ooog. I said wait a minute Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man. He said, That's okay boy, just feed him when you can.

Okay, I am missing a verse or two. And I'm sure some words are off. But if I was going to sing it in front of Irving Plaza, I'd learn 'em. (All I'd need is the first line and I'd get the rest--that's how I remember all the lurics to, say, "Tangled Up in Blue."

* only exception was Fishman singing gettin' jiggy with it. Because you shouldn't be expected to know that by heart. :-)

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous en regalia said...

nice work there...i was thinking of "tangled up" all morning when i posed that challenge...same thing get me into it with the music behind it and i can roll

but its "harder than it looks"

see stuck inside of memphis in el lay when bob flubbed and dylan took over the microphone...classic

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

you forgot the "get your cannonball" last stanza. stanza.

anyway, there are no college games on new years day b/c there is a full slate of NFL games. it's a sunday. and that's fine by me, since i don't have to work on 1/2. of course, not every nfl game is on new years day. the giants play at oakland with kick-off scheduled at 8:00 on the east coast. with that game carrying possible seeding/playoff implications for the giants, um, who the fuck thought it would be a good idea? seriously! that sucks.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Go down Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say,
It's just old Luke and, Luke's awaitin' on judgement day,
Well Luke my friend, what about young anna lee,
Won't you do me a favor son, won't you stay and keep anna lee company,

(Chorus.)

Catch a cannonball and head on down the line,
My bag is sinkin low, and I do believe it's time,
To get back to miss Fanny, you know she's the only one,
Who sent me here, with her regards for everyone...

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

"anyway, there are no college games on new years day b/c there is a full slate of NFL games. it's a sunday."

Thanks, Donnie...that's called laziness on my part. All I had to do was look at a calendar and the problem would have been solved. Awesome, go me.

We now return to the "I said, Wait a minute Chester" portion of your show.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Uh, why didn't you just tell your family you wouldn't be attending the gathering because it's a Sunday and it's football season? That's what I do. I guess you don't have the balls I have.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Alas, MDS, I do not. Anniversaries and birthdays, 'twas the celebration of two occasions I could not justify missing. Bully for you, sucks for me.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger brickmyers said...

The NFL plays on the 1st. I would think that is why games have been moved to the 2nd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home