Friday, January 06, 2006

Glorious Racism

Dig out your best casual racism outfits and let's dance:

"Wal-Mart Stores is shutting down the automated system that creates movie recommendations on its shopping website after the system randomly linked a Planet of the Apes DVD to films about African-Americans including Martin Luther King Jr..."

I'd love to know for which other videos these customers received recommendations. I'm guessing Patrick Ewing: Standing Tall.


(The image above comes to us courtesy of Monk over at Inflatable Dartboard-- he's fully operational again in 2006 after taking an extended hiatus, but I'd suggest traveling by his site often for some of the best and brightest politically altered graphics on the Internets. Post-hiatus Dartboard, get on board. )

5 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Can I just say that I really dislike the misuse of the word "random"? There could be any number of explanations for why this happened, but there is nothing random about it.

Also, does anyone ever actually use those things? I mean, really, do you sit there thinking, "My wife and I really liked 'Tender Mercies.' Why don't we see what Wal-Mart thinks we'll also like before making our next DVD selection?"

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

To answer your question MDS, I find these things useful. Sometimes, when I'm looking for something to read, I'll go to Amazon, search for a book that I liked, and check out the "Customers who bought this book also bought" section to get some ideas.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Wow, a decent attack on the word "random" there...I gotta say, I agree.

But I'm with DHodge, I've definitely used the "Customers who bought this also bought this" service. That's mainly because I only like what other people like.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I guess I tend to rely on expert opinion rather than the opinions of the unwashed masses. When I want to find a movie to watch, I invariably turn to Roger Ebert's reviews. And when I want to find a good book, I usually look through the winners of the Pulitzers, National Book Awards, etc.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

I will never shop at Wal-Mart again, after a black friday incident last year. I should probably sue their asses and make millions. No, wait...billions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home