Monday, January 23, 2006

Goodbye, Jed Bartlet

Can someone be like Jim Brown and Jerry Rice at the same time?

Is it at all possible for an incredibly brilliant, unique recurring piece of entertainment to only last seven seasons and still hang around a few seasons too long? Es posible totalmente.

Apparently it must be, because I'm not even upset that my favorite television show of all-time has now officially been cancelled. In the immortal words of Principal Joe Clark, The West Wing is "hereby cancelled...you do know what cancelled means: over, finished, terminated." We hardly knew ye, and yet we knew ye for way too long.

My feelings on the greatness of Aaron Sorkin's finest creation (well, the A Few Good Men screenplay is pretty sick, too) are well-known on this here blogaroo, so I won't re-hash them in toto. But I'd be remiss if I didn't post a final farewell in advance of May's real final farewell. Bartlet for America, you'll surely be missed.

But in some exciting NBC news, we'd like to welcome back Deal Or No Deal. The most basic game show in history with one of the worst hosts ever is returning to Monday nights, and that's a good thing. It's riveting TV, but I like it for another reason: I enjoy seeing Howie Mandel on television again.

It reminds me of the time TJ in OH and I were doing scores of whippets in a sleazy motel parking lot in a redneck Pennsylvania town, cracking up at the chick in our large party trying to convince us that Howie Mandel was actually her estranged father.

I think she was serious, or deranged and delusional, but if there's something I can always look back with fondness at, it's sitting outside under the country stars with a few boxes of whip cream chargers and TJ, laughing at a girl practically begging us to believe that Howie Mandel is her deadbeat of a dad like either of us gave a flying fuck. Classic. Oh, to be 18 and so carefree again.

This girl's nickname, by the way? "Weedwhore." Good times.

Slack Link of the Day: Holy shit. I have no words for this. I'm speechless. I am without speech. Please, please gods, don't ever let this be me.

Slack Video of the Day: Not the greatest recording known to man, but always a treat to see Pink Floyd in its heyday. Here's almost eight minutes of Careful With That Axe, Eugene from 5/18/73 at Earl's Court.

Slack Show of the Day: Sticking with bands that were famous before I was born, here's a full concert recording of The Band from 8/29/76 in Lennox, MA. If Rick Danko singing It Makes No Difference could be any cooler, it'd be ice fucking cold.

Slack Song of the Day: Today I'll treat y'all to something from the real DMB -- Del McCoury Band. Here's The Cold Hard Facts, Pike County Breakdown and I'm Blue and I'm Lonesome Too from 11/30/96 from Chattanooga, Tennessee.

3 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

Are you kidding me with that story about the amputee? I mean, doesn't her husband step in at some point and say, "Hold on, I'm not sure I follow. You delivered the baby, and you want to cut off her arms and legs why exactly?"

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Trix said...

I couldn't even read it...all I had to do was look at the picture. That was enough for me.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

Is that story about the quadrupal amputee even real? I can't find mention of it anywhere but local news sites. I would think some more reputable papers would pick a story like that up.

If it is true, it's just about the worst thing I've ever heard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home