Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Same Shit, Different Song

Almost exactly five months ago, the music gods provided me with one of the stranger coincidences I've ever experienced.

Hopefully you'll take the five minutes it takes to re-read this post from August 1, but if you're not man enough to do so, I'll summarize the scene at Brother Jimmy's BBQ: Following my random plug of Huey Lewis' upcoming show at the Westbury Music Fair, and a subsequent conversation about the similiarities between "I Want a New Drug" and "Ghostbusters," the bar's jukebox broke into the former at the exact second Donnie Fiedler finished humming the tune.

I'm always taken aback by such freakish occurrences, and at the time I said this: "Now, seriously, what are the fuckin' chances of that? Of all the bars in New York City, of the thousands of bars on the Isle of Manhattan, of all the conversation topics I could have picked, of all the artists I could have brought up, of all the songs on the bar's iPod or their jukebox, of all the times to play that song, is there any logical and reasonable explanation for such a giant coincidence?"

So now I ask, what are the chances the same exact situation would play out five months later, only this time with a different song?

I somehow accompanied six lovely ladies to dinner on Saturday night, to a cool place on 19th Street called Duke's. They have trivial pursuit cards on every table, and we were all asking and answering questions as often as we could. I don't remember the exact question, but it went something like this: "What song off Michael Jackson's Thriller album was first to make it big on the UK charts?"

The answer, in fact, to whatever the question really was: "Beat It." But all the women around the table felt compelled to yell out "Billie Jean" as loud and as often as they could. Despite my insistence it wasn't that tune, I must've heard that answer 10-15 times.

No sooner than I had put the card back in the holder, what song should come blaring through the house speakers? That's right, "Billie Jean." Ask and ye shall receive, girls, ask and ye shall receive.

This one makes a little more sense, as Michael Jackson's catalogue is played much more often than Huey Lewis', but what are the longshot odds they'd play that song at the exact time six girls were screaming out the title? And what are the incredibly longshot odds this coincidence would happen twice in less than half a year?

I'm not sure what the gods are trying to tell me, or what the purpose of these signs are, or for whom they're actually intended. And I'm wholly unsure of why I feel compelled to chronicle these strange occurrences on this here rag.

I just know there are people out there who appreciate the randomness of this world, and I hope they're taking notes and creating interesting theorums for us to discuss here. And I also hope they're shakin' their asses to The Heart of Rock n' Roll.

As an added bonus for sitting through this post, here's my boy Huey with Umphrey's McGee on Heart and Soul from 11/18/05 at Irving Plaza.

4 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how could this post fail to mention the time you walked into a deli and the sly and the family stone song playing on your ipod was in the exact same spot on the deli's sound system? eb

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger ethan said...

saturday nite with six lovely ladies (hopefully in pink uniforms with knee high socks), monday nite with a trio of fallopian tubers. you've been wearing the sex panther lately ace?

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the musical coincidences...how did the 6 women look?

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

EB, good point, I always forget that one...weird coincidences must follow me around.

The girls they looked a-nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home