Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Save Our Bluths

Last night's Arrested Development may have been the best-written episode of television I've ever seen. Maybe that's my sense of instant history talking, but I don't remember ever seeing a show and saying, "Holy jeez, that's fucking off-the-charts brilliant" so many times.

Half satire, half self-deprecation, half social commentary, last night's show was all genius (apparently three-halves worth). Not only did the AD writers craft an episode around its current plight, but it made mention of being saved by the white knights of HBO and Showtime.

And they took awesome pot shots at regular sitcoms, giving Lindsay a "typical sitcom" homemaker job, GOB mistakenly found employment as a waiter, and they concocted a cookie-cutter plot device like "the caterer flaked and we have 3 hours to get this done..."

Brilliant! If you haven't seen it yet, find it. I have it on TiVo, invite yourself over. I'll watch it every day this week if I must.

In the meantime, you can help Save the Bluths here at this Fox-owned website, or sign this petition from some outsiders working tirelessly. My message to Fox is simple: Cancel this show and prove just how awful you are at promoting smart television.

"Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken before?"

9 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous handstand said...

Wait, so Fox has their own website about saving the show? Can't they just renew it instead of dragging the fans through the mud like this?

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I am pretty sure Save Our Bluths is registered to Fox, yes...

This is silly.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

Is this just some weird publicity stunt by fox? Are they just horrible and merciless to their own writers and actors? They suck.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Some Dude said...

My DVR flaked last night and only recorded the first 4 minutes of it. I'm quite disappointed.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ohhhh, sorry to hear that, Some Dude...it really was a classic. I'm not erasing mine, so feel free to invite yourself over. I plan on watching it at least three times.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Some Dude said...

I think I may have to take you up on that offer.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

All I can say is, more "Hot Ham Water"!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Some Dude, throw me an email if you're serious...

Hot Ham Water, delish.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home