Monday, January 09, 2006

Siriusly

I'm not a fan of Howard Stern's radio show. I used to be, as a kid, but even that period was short-lived.

He's kinda funny, but I never really saw the appeal of his farting lesbians shtick. Thus, I have very little interest in acquiring satellite radio technology for his new gig.

I am a huge fan of Howard Stern the Man, though. He's a one man gang fighting government censorship and speaking out against the dangers of abridging free speech. For that, he's a true hero.

He's taken former FCC head Michael Powell to task on the public airwaves and he constantly barraged our conservative friends in Washington with well-reasoned counter-arguments for why they're being serious douchebottles when it comes to suppressing entertainment value in the guise of family values (new word from the weekend: douchebottle -- use it and spread it).

Stern debuted his new act on satellite today, and I'm sure a fair share of twenty-something dudes sat in their cars in the office parking lot for an extra half hour or so. I'm not sure what went down, but for the Stern fans out there, I offer you this well-detailed recap of this morning's show from the Apparent King of ridiculous Stern fans.

Also, this site has a Torrent of the show for download (just gotta sign up for it). I hope you all have fun.

Slack Link of the Day: You know that non-fiction book that everyone is reading? It's called A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, and people can't get enough of it. Only there's one thing missing from it: the truth. The Smoking Gun exposes this book for its falsehoods and fabrications, making a fool of Oprah and her precious book club seal of approval. Hey, it may be fake, but at least the guy now knows he can write good fiction.

Slack Scare Tactic of the Day: Keep your eye on the bird flu as it migrates west, folks. The dreaded H5N1 strain of the bird flu virus has now infected at least 14 people in Turkey (bird flu in Turkey, the irony knows no bounds), and it's coming for you next.

There's still been no human-to-human spreading, but I don't think we've heard the last of this plague.

Slack Song of the Day: Not sure if I've ever posted any New Monsoon on here before, so now's the time -- here's Patato's Mission, 219, Romp, and Same Sun from 8/5/05 at Oregon's Horning's Hideout.

12 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

Dear Ace Cowboy,

The Oprah book club is problematic at best. I'm not surprised that they picked a book that claims to be "true" when it might not. If the author's confessions about his life turn out to be fabrication, some literary critic (perhaps even I) will simply argue that fictive personal narratives are a part of our national conciousness.

Plus she loves the sad, depressing reformed criminal types.

And the Bird Flu in Turkey? Kids were playing with contaminated chicken heads. Always a bad idea to play with dead bird's heads, right?

Nice post.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Jason Mulgrew said...

I guess I should take out the part in my book in which I talk about all those prison rapes I endured (read: paid for and now masturbate to).

Ace, I don't mean to turn your comments section into a messageboard, but Matty Mac, I don't have your email address. I am coming to Boston this Thursday and me, Zebra, and Handstand will be ripping it up. Thoughts?

(If you want to take this off-line, just drop me a line)

I love you Ace.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I find the Oprah book club problematic for only one reason -- that big douchebottle seal of approval she stamps on every book so that if you buy a book she recommends you're basically automatically in her club. I purposefully didn't buy A Million Little Pieces after I saw that fucker fixed on there.

Personally? I don't think this thing is that big a deal. Is it that much different than The Blair Witch Project (the only difference I'd see is that Blair Witch fucking sucked and this book does not). Whether it's fiction or non-fiction, who really cares? The Chuck Barris story may or may not be fiction (likely is), but it's billed as stuff that really happened to him. People lie, and they get caught, and people fall for those lies, and people feel badly for being duped. But when it comes down to it, it's a good story either way, right?

Mulgrew, get the fuck back to your own site. My comments board is your comments board, duder. Proceed with your quasi-heterosexual match-making.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I kind of roll my eyes at The Oprah book club, but overall, isn't it a good thing that someone as powerful as Oprah is encouraging literacy?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Absolutely, dhodge...and furthermore, I'm just happy at least one black person can read.

Booooooo. Terrible.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Alex Fritz said...

Book club, sch-mook club.

(sorry, I just don't have anything to say, but still wanted to say something.)

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Mulgrew, I just emailed you.

Ace, I apologize for using your comments section to set up play dates. It's like bringing food to someone else's house and eating it there, but only bringing enough for you. Or something like that. I can't think of a good analogy.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

What are the customs when meeting someone you know only from Slack? i.e. this weekend, when Matty Mac meets Bobby Handstand or me, do we exchange real names, or do we continue to refer to one another by the sobriquets we already know?

Heads up Matty, prepare to be creeped out when Mulgrew extends his hand to shake your hand.....have a towel handy after you touch his scallop-lunger palm.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger ethan said...

mulgrew - excellent job on your foosball picks this weekend. i can only assume this means your feud with god is on hiatus.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Thanks for the warning. I have this image that it's going to be like Chris Elliot in Scary Movie 2, when he wants to shake everyone's hand but no one will touch it because it's disgusting and claw-like. I think I may bring some rubber gloves and a surgical mask just in case.

As far as names go, mine is my real name, except Mac is short for Mac Abdul Jabbar. You can go by whatever you want, like a $10 hooker.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Jason Mulgrew said...

My hands are gross, with the texture of refrigerated seaweed. And they're my best feature.

Let's set the meeting for Thursday. I get in at 5. Matty has suggested meeting at 6, and then he starts working at 8. What are your thoughts, "Zebra"?

Thanks for the props on the picks, Ethan. I had my worst football prognosticating season ever, both in real life and fantasy, and was due for a nice sweep weekend. I'm sure I'll lose every game remaining.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I start working at 9. That's an extra hour of drinking before I go to work. Bouncer + Drunk + Belligerent = good times for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home