Monday, January 09, 2006

That's Great, But Who are the Chefs?

The subhead of Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column is only partially accurate. Right now the page reads: "Edwards leaving Jets for Chiefs is bad for the NFL."

If I worked at SI.com, I'd have published: "Edwards leaving Jets for Chiefs is bad for the Chiefs."

In the interests of full disclosure, I've been one of the last Herm Defenders among the Jets' fans. When the Jets finished 6-10 in 2003, I backed his performance. When people were grumbling about his incompetence during last year's playoffs, I stood up for him.

I've exonerated him throughout the terrible play calls he's approved, I've advocated his altogether conservative style and I've endorsed his semi-frustrating tenure. I've championed his overall efforts, even as we played less like champions.

But I'm done rationalizing. No more. I'm taking off the blindfold and I'm noticing his major flaws, like his blatant inability to manage the clock and his silly reluctance to gain an extra few yards for shorter field goals. I've been willing to overlook these hiccups because we were a doink and a miss away from the AFC Championship game last year, in spite of his best efforts.

Herm is a master motivator and a great guy. If I could have anyone in the league coach my team from Monday morning to the pregame lockerroom speech on Sunday, Herm would be my guy. But he cannot coach for shit. He cannot be trusted to roam the sidelines and make key decisions. He cannot be considered a head coach by any means. He'd make a wonderful assistant and an incredible sound byte ("You play to win the game"), but that's all he is.

Enter the Kansas City Chiefs, who inexplicably poached Herm over the weekend, causing thousands of Jets villagers fans to rejoice. Peter King wants to know why the organization doesn't file tampering charges against KC. The answer is simple, Pete: This is a bonus Christmas gift from the Chefs. Wait, you want to take our awful game manager and his two million clams off our books and give us a fourth-round pick (which is nothing to sneeze at, folks)?

I don't care that Herm lied, that he pledged he'd stay. I once villified Gary Barnett for doing the same thing, but in this case, it's time for him to go, and I think everyone in the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut tri-state area realizes that.

Herm might do well in Kansas City, and there's always a chance he'll make me eat all these words. He has a great offense and an improving defense in place, and hey, maybe all it'll take is a master motivator and defensive-minded guy. They're on their own.

But the Jets made the right move by not putting up any fight. Promote newbie offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger or bring someone else in, I don't really care (as long as it's NOT Jim Haslett as has been reported). All I do know is, someone can spout the mantra "You play to win the game" all they want, but those players have to be coached by someone who can help them win those games.

Herm wasn't doing that. So I'll wish the clock-watchers in Kansas City much luck. You'll need it.

(The Jets have a long way to go to get back to the playoffs, but one move they must avoid is drafting or signing the trainwreck that is Marcus Vick. Is it possible to be this dumb? Again? C'mon, dude.

I'd say his big brother must be real proud, but he might not even know what happened yet -- he might be out knowingly spreading herpes under the name Ron Mexico.)

7 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

not only is herm gone, but we get a draft pick too? i couldn't be happier. any head coach who needs a time managing coach on his staff is not nfl material. he should be giving motivational speeches, not coaching football.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I would be best friends with Herm if he wanted to...and I think he solidifed our franchise after the Parcells fiasco and the Belichick departure and the Groh shennanigans. But he is not a championship-caliber coach, and that's all there is to it.

I am gonna miss the press conferences, though. No more Jackie Childs-like rants, damn.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous SpanishMiguel said...

I really don't get all the Herm-bashing. It seems like everyone is thrilled that the coach who got a team that's a perennial trainwreck into the playoffs 3 of 5 years, playing really well at times, is gone.

Everyone respected Herm, he was a legit face of the organization, and he got the guys ready to play. While the offensive play-calling was definitely suspect at times, some of that blame goes to the buddy Hackett. And anyway, I'll take a weak play call late in the 4th quarter of a playoff game over going 7-9 for a few years.

Getting rid of Herm when he's under contract and there are no decent replacements available risks destabilizing the team.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Cheddar Ted said...

Any Relation to Herm-it Crab?

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger MDS said...

That Herm Edwards can win 20 games in three years and then move from one job to another like this is proof that the old boys' network is alive and well in the NFL. Or, um, it would be if Edwards were white.

He's going to a bad situation, though. Larry Johnson is the best back in football by a large margin, but the rest of that team is really old. This was their last chance to win with the current nucleus, and they just missed.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Rashid Muhammad said...

That Marcus Vick thing is an athlete debacle of the highest order. God damn how can somebody be such an idiot?

The funny thing about that "Ron Mexico" lawsuit is that everybody is making him out to be mega-promiscuous but he didn't sleep with the chick until a a year and a half after they met and had formed an intimate relationship.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Spanish, you make decent points...but let me boil it down like this: How many games has Herm really won for us? Debateable, but the answer is not many, if any. How many games has he mismanaged for us? I'd argue at least one or two a season. At least once a year we're tragically outcoached and his sideline decisions come back to haunt us.

I like Herm, as I've said. He gets us ready to play, but even last year's success can't be attributed to him -- we had like five second half shutouts, and that's totally on Donnie Henderson, who brilliantly masterminded a bunch of second half changes every week. We should give him the job.

Dude, you live in Spain, you really don't see how incompetent he is on the sidelines most games. I can't stress enough how much I like him from Monday to Sunday morning -- it's the game management that kills me.

And good point on Vick, Rashid -- I'm a big Mike Vick fan, even if he has proven thus far he won't be a great NFL-style QB. I'd like to see Buddy Ryan coach him in the pros, or Dennis Green, or someone who has let a scrambling QB run wild. Enough of this "Stay in the pocket" crap -- let the guy RUN!

And let him spread herpes for the love of God. He wants to do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home