Thursday, January 19, 2006

This is Red Rocks...This is The Edge

Even though last week's Colorado trip to Denver and Boulder feels like eons ago, I'm strangely compelled to post a few pictures from the quickie jaunt, for posterity's sake.

I've already archived my camera-phone photos of downtown Denver and described my least favorite part of the trip -- the unfair airport confiscation. But I've yet to document my trip to the world-famous Red Rocks Amphitheatre, and I'll do that now:

Poor Red Rocks. On this day, the amphitheatre was emptier than an Allan Houston box score stat line. Still, it's pretty cool that the venue is open to the public at all times:

I've never seen a show here, but I couldn't imagine experimenting with some substances and rockin' out, only to look up and to the left at this incredible sight:

Or turning my head to the right and seeing this formation:

Deputy Girardin accompanied me to the Rocks, and even though the restaurant was closed and we couldn't eat any rattlesnake empanadas, we still had a fun time. The Deputy even got to add this photo to his "Trey Face on the stage at Red Rocks" file:

He then got to show off his amateur photography skills, which turned out to be piss poor. I'm blurry, but then again, this is how the band looks to me at just about every show I've ever attended. Um, I guess I can say, excellent use of the F-Stop, Chris:

Ace ponders what an awesome day it's been, and so far, what an amazing time he's having in the homeland of Pete Coors:

All that's left from the trip recap is a review of the two magnificent Tea Leaf Green shows we caught out there -- that'll have to come later, when I eventually return to normalcy.

In the meantime, you can access the Denver Quixote's show here, one of the band's all-time great concerts (FYI, a couple of the songs are mislabeled, so that's gotta be fixed, but it's a great listen).

Slack Video of the Day: Let us flash back to a little gathering called Woodstock and watch the magic of one Jimi Hendrix, ripping a Fire for the ages.

Slack Song of the Day: Stayin' with an uninspired theme of colored artists, here's legendary crackhead Bernie Worrell and the WOO Warriors on Gamin' On Ya, Funkentelechy and Red Hot Mama from March 4, 2005 at The Moose in Doylestown, PA.

15 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger ethan said...

the deputy looks like he's getting some perverse pleasure from that water bottle...

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Scotty B said...

lol @ deputy girardin. Glad you guys had fun, I love that place!

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Ace,

One of my favorite stomping grounds and one of the best places I lived to boot. I saw many a good show at the rocks that are red - PHISH 96 & 97, ALLMAN BROS and PEARL JAM were some of the best.... U NEED TO GO SEE PHISH THERE WHEN THEY COME BACK...

Love to the Ace,

FLuffdead

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger ahren said...

red rocks is just open to the public?

could sobriety checkpoint just roll in one day at like noon on a tuesday, setup, and play a show?

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

Neil Young at the rocks that are red. Played Ohio and that Rockin' in the Free World song twice.

1990-ish. So when I was finishing college... Sixteen years ago... Right. So anyway...

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Welcome to Slack, Scotty.

Hey, Ahren, I'm not sure if anyone can just set up and play. You gotta check on that with the park people. Es posible.

But there was a big group of asian teenagers that came to the front of the stage, and one got one stage and sang an aria of sorts as Deputy G and I took those Gay-4-Trey pics on stage. So, anyone can definitely get on stage and mess around. A full show? Hmm, not sure.

Fluff, you sure you have the years right? Didn't they get banned from there after the four-night 1996 run? Regardless, that's awesome that you got to see so many shows out there...

Gypsy, you're not that old. Well, you're not as old as Neil Young, that's nice. So NY has a movie coming out I read today -- Jonathan Demme directing. Check it:

Neil Young Movie

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Never been to Red Rocks. But I am wearing the same shoes right now that Ace was wearing in his picture. So, in a way, I have been there. I guess.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

dude, that thing that Jimi does with his tongue at the beginning of that clip is pretty creepy. even for jimi.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

Hey. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Neil Young is actually my favorite. Better than vintage Jackson Browne. Shut up.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace,

You are correct... it was 95 & 96, I move out of CO by then. Us old guys do not remember dates all that well... but what a special place.

Fluff

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

Nice! Everytime I go to a new place, I visit the venue where Phish played. (It's often the only thing I know about a city.)

Yeah, Phish was banned in 1996. See my report from that 4-night run (5-night run for me) here:

www.piscesposters.com/russ/redrocks

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Funny you should say that, Russ...I actually did a venue tour of Colorado pretty much.

I checked out Coors > Pepsi Center > Mile High, went to Red Rocks, saw shows at the Fox in Boulder and Quixote's in Denver.

So when someone asks how my trip was, I respond, "Saw a bunch of venues, good trip."

Alias, that is definitely creepy. I'm not sure I could ever imagine actually seeing Jimi live. Talk about "melted faces."

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Tressa said...

Ace - you think Red Rocks is sweet, you gotta check out The Gorge in George, Washington.. now that's spectacular scenery.. Tres

http://www.barstop.com/gorge/

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

The Gorge is next on my list...true story.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace,

I have Been to both the rocks that are Red and The Gorge(ous)and they are by far the two most beautiful venues in our land. The Gorge is very scenic and yes spectacular but there is no place like RED ROCKS. I would pick Red Rocks over The Gorge but it is damn close. The nice thing about the Gorge is that u actually camp right there on the edge of the canyon.

Peace Fluff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home