Monday, February 06, 2006

Game...Blouses

I didn't really catch all of SNL this weekend, but I managed to tune in at the exact second Prince took the stage for his first performance.

And it was brilliant. There might not be a more underrated or misunderstood musician than the oft-purple dude in the ruffled pirate hooker shirt. He's mastered at least four or five instruments, plays them all on his albums, comes onstage and rips shit up.

I haven't seen Prince since I was a kid, and I just missed his mini-NYC run, but I'd love to watch him do this live. This guy's a total badass, making the guitar talk on its own and walking off stage like a top-notch cross-dressin' prizefighter.

So here's Prince's "Fury" from the weekend's Saturday Night Live.



And via Stereogum, here's an mp3 of the performance. Go crazy.

9 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger ismateo said...

agreed. Prince is amazing. and he's one of the best guitarists around -- he can rip shit up on the gittar any muthafuckin' day.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Trix said...

Met him once. He's about five feet tall. His eyes were level with my breasts. But you're right...nothing like seeing him live.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

I was on a car trip with a friend of mine. He had Prince's greatest hits (the two volume one) on CD. I was surprised by how many songs I knew. He is pretty awesome. Good call, Cowboy.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I love having the video right here at Slack LaLane, rather than having to click a link over to YouTube. A fine technological achievement.

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous K Wynn said...

Agreed 100%...I'd forgotten how awesome of a guitar player he was. I tuned in to watch and sat watching utterly amazed. He makes playing a guitar look so easy and effortless....total awesomeness.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Phiul said...

True dat Ace. Prince rocked off my face when I watched it on Tivo on Monday night. The guy can't make a mistake. He's the shit.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous handstand said...

THe MSG show I saw a couple years back easily falls in my top five concerts ever list.

He's basically James Brown, Jim Hendrix and Elvis Presley morphed into one dude.

Allegedly he's not doing a "hits" tour like that again but for anyone who hasn't seen him, pray to your Gods that he does.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Greg said...

We saw him at the Meadowlandshis last tour and got moved right to the very front row because they were using our seats for cameras and whatnot. Definitely one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger ahren said...

saw prince last year for the first time-- didn't know any of his music going in... top 10 concert of all-time for me.

his band is stinky good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home