Tuesday, February 21, 2006

New Reason For Insomnia

Red Cowboy e-mailed me last week, proudly proclaiming he randomly bought me "the sickest gift of all-time."

Knowing the re-mastered Amazing Grace and Chuck special edition DVD has yet to debut, my mind catalogued the limitless possiblities of what awaited me. I met up with Red for dinner this weekend, and it turns out, he wasn't lying.

In the course of his travels, my brother crossed paths with the EA Sports Plug and Play TV Game, which is basically an operating system embedded inside an old Sega Genesis controller. I'm not sure if they make different versions, but right now I can just plug in some input cords, turn it on and play Madden '95 or NHL '95 all night long.

And if you think I didn't play two "catch-up" games before starting a full NHL season with the 1994 Rangers, then you don't know me very well. We're officially 1-0, defeating the Bruins 3-0 on Opening Night: Mike Richter tallied 17 saves, Glenn Anderson notched a goal and an assist and Mark Messier and Sergei Zubov put home the other two.

Indeed, this may be the sickest gift of all-time. If you want to get your friend or boyfriend or son or brother a cheap present in the near future, this is what you need to do. Consider this your friendly public service announcement from the blog community.

Slack Game of the Day: This one doesn't look that tough, but one lapse in memory and you're toast. It's called Reverse, and it's not just a clever title -- your cursor moves in the opposite direction than it normally does. Frustating, but entertaining. Play Reverse.

Slack Link of the Day: Remember the good ol' days in 2001 when Annie Thrax and The Spores used to show up for gigs all over Florida, New York and DC? Well, a 17-year-old kid has figured out the answer to our problems, should anthrax ever re-emerge as the bioterror du jour. Read all about it here, "High School Senior Saves the World."

Slack Songs of the Day: The Live Music Archive is not only a fine source of quality shows uploaded at breath-taking speeds, it's also a nostalgic cave for once-popular songs of youth. Hence, I give you five songs I listened to waaay too many times between the ages of 13 and 16, probably whilst playing Sega Genesis repeatedly:

Feel Us Shaking -- The Samples 9/11/94
Nightengale and Wendy - God Street Wine - 10/29/94
Send Me on My Way - Rusted Root - 5/17/02
Something's Always Wrong - Toad the Wet Sprocket - 7/21/94

And you know what? Three out of five are still fucking awesome.

19 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

"Feel Us Shaking" - one of my top ten favs of all time. Played various ways: fast, slow, different beat, different bassline, whatever. Simply outstanding.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does the Sega thing have player #'s; keep stats, etc.?

How's the Madden?

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Scotty B said...

I love Toad The Wet Sprocket

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have my 16 bit Sega set up downstairs in my basement. I have not played in a while but it's there with NHL 95 in it. I dont own any of the new stuff... call me old school but like Aces Rangers of 94, I created a team back in the day made up of all the Islanders during their cup years and they are fucking unreal.

I love SEGA -

Fluffdead

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger macky chan said...

Ace, you've got to check out www.mcvideogame.com Be sure to turn on the audio and I suggest visiting the tutorial. Way better entertainment value than reverse.
I'm lovin' it......

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Yes, first anon, this one keeps user stats and has a season mode. You can't do the automatic wrap-around move nor the breakaway move, and there's no blood or fighting, but it's still a great game after all these years. And Fluffdead, you know the Isles suck big floppy donkey deek.

I'm glad people responded positively to my old school songs portion of the post! Feel Us Shaking was probably our most listened to song of the summer of 1994 and Toad was easily the most listened to album of the summer of 1992. Man, I can't believe how long ago that was, yet it doesn't feel that long ago at all.

Morning wiiiind come and pullll me awaaaaay...out to where the dolphiiiins play.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Nice, Macky...

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

With a great biig fucking smiiiiiilllee, for alll the wooorrrllldd tooo sseeeee. (that's the version of of Sea of Tranquility). There's also a version with Boyd Tinsley that's pretty effing sweet too.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

Toad? That takes me back--the fact that I'm a whole two years older than you.

haha.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Rashid Muhammad said...

Ahh man, Madden 95, those were the days. I bet they are running embedded Linux with some sort of MAME-like emulator pushing the ROMs.

God I used to kick so much ass with Buffalo.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous mitch said...

I've got the NHL/Madden 95 set with two controllers attached. It took alot of looking online to find it when I bought it, though. Unfortunately, they have only numbers, not names in the games.

Oh, and I was a one-man wrecking crew with Calgary.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Trix said...

You boys and your toys...

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

I would still list TTWS as one of my top 5 or so all time favorite bands. They're still on heavy rotation on my Itunes. Dulcinea and Fear are both perfect albums. Every song is great.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Mr. Underhill said...

Is there a way to hook up two of those controllers for a two player game?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Actually, the reason Red Cowboy bought me the game was because he bought two for himself, then realized you can't play two-player. Sucks, but one-player is better than nothing. I guess if you wanna play someone so bad you can buy Genesis on eBay for like eight bucks.

Wow, lotta love for Toad the Wet Sprocket today...I thought I was gonna be razzed to no end.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous mitch said...

You can play two-player, you just have to buy the two-player version of it like I did. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a competitor yet.

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous mitch said...

And I might add that a friend and I were out having a couple of beers Sunday night, and Send Me on My Way came on the jukebox. My buddy turns to me and says that he and another buddy were talking recently about wanting to go see Rusted Root the next time they're around the area. It had been ages since I heard that song. And then it showed up in your next post. Weird.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Greg said...

The new EA Sports NHL06 has NHL 94 Redux on it as well... nice little bonus.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous HANDSTAND said...

I got my first hand job while "Walk on the Ocean" was playing in the background.

Wait, was that too much information?

Ace, have you ever heard the Toad b-side song "All Right"? Its a lovely midnight drive-type song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home