Thursday, February 09, 2006

Poor Sly

Roommate Dorsey, The Cowgirl and I sandwiched a thrilling episode of Lost with the Grammys telecast last night. I desperately wanted to see the Sly Stone tribute, Dorsey really wanted to watch newcomer John Legend win multiple awards and The Cowgirl needed to scream obsenities at "that fat fucking bitch" Mariah Carey all night.

'Twas a topsy-turvy night, though, as I thoroughly and surprisingly enjoyed the Grammys performances but nearly vomited from the sheer awfulness of the Sly tribute. Call me a sap (please don't or I'll bite off your index finger and spit it in your grandma's eye), but I thought the mash-ups were entertaining to quite entertaining.

I really enjoyed the ageless Madonna with The Gorillaz and De La Soul, Christina Aguilera with (It's) Herrrrbie Hancock, Sir Paul McCartney with Jay-Z and Linkin Park, a subpar U2 with an extraordinary Mary J. Blige, Kanye West with Jamie Foxx and a small marching band, and McCartney stepping up to rock Helter Skelter after his catchy new tune Fine Line. I'm usually too cool for Grammys School, but this year's installment made me want to sit and learn.

But the Sly performance...oh my. Let me say up front, I love Sly and the Family Stone. I sang Dance to the Music with an awesome funk band at my brother's wedding in front of 300 guests for chrissakes. Donnie Fiedler and I used to dance to Family Affair and other Sly tunes in the dorm at five in the morning freshman year. Sly is the Man, the master of funk, but sadly, he's also the master of reclusive cokeness and hasn't played in public since the late '80s.

First the Grammys set up a five-song tribute medley, which I can honestly say was as riveting as last year's Rosh Hashanah sermon. Everyone, especially Maroon 5 and Steven Tyler, basically mailed it in and waited for Sly to appear. And when he did...oh my.

How old do you think this man is? Eighty? Eighty-five? If you guessed 62, you're lying, but you're correct. This guy has aged worse than anything but milk. He came out, tried to sing a few lines, tried to play a few bars, tried to be the Sly of old. It just didn't happen. The Days of Genius are a long time gone.

And now I'm sad I actually watched the Grammys for the Sly tribute. So in order to break out of this little morning funk (pun intended?), you're all obligated to wach this video of Sly and the Family Stone kickin' Ed Sullivan's ass with a wicked medley:



And here are a few more vids, courtesy of the great folks over at YouTube: I Want to Take You Higher, another one from the Ed Sullivan show and a clip of Sly loaded on the Dick Cavett show (showing he's the original Andre 3000).

Oh, and what music post would be complete without a mention of Trey Anastasio. The former Pheesh frontman attended the Grammys with his sister (he backed Herbie Hancock on a nominated tune), and here's Big Red strollin' the red carpet and lookin' all nerdy.

Slack Link of the Day: For all the other fans of Lost out there, check out the John Locke theory that's going around. Makes a ton of sense, but more importantly, I really enjoy the fact that people are still thinking intelligently about things that entertain us.

Slack Lede of the Day: From EB comes this gem -- "Shy Swedish female penguins sent to seduce 'homosexual' male Humboldt penguins in a German zoo failed to break up the male twosomes." Sad stuff.

Slack Video of the Day: MDS sent this one over today, a real commercial for Ayds diet candy from the early 80s. I just marvel at the timing of certain people and companies.

Slack Song of the Day: In lieu of digging up anything I'd like you to like this morning, head on over to the True Stories blog and listen to or download Tobin's fifth podcast. I haven't heard it yet, but the playlist looks great. This guy's putting out some of the best podcasts in the world of live music blogs (followed closely by Newmradio).

12 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

Two important questions:

1) You sang Dance to the Music in front of 300 wedding guests?

2) What do you think Trey says in response to the question of reuniting? It doesn't matter obviously, but it's fun to debate.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Trix said...

I think I like this "Cowgirl" character. Oddly enough, I was screaming the same damned thing at Mariah Carey.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

1. Yes, yes I did. And funny enough, two of those guests were Judge Judy and Judge Jerry.

I'm not a karaoke guy and I *really* don't have a good voice, but I couldn't pass up a chance to sing with such a talented band. I asked them if I could sing like the last dance of the evening, but the lines musta got crossed and the bandleader called me up before the Best Man speech even happened. I was mortified, but I made it through. That video is in the Vault.

2. I think he said, "I think so." But then he laughed, so who knows. Still how geek chic did he look?! All that was missing was a pocket protector. Trey, you magnificent bastard.

Lay off Mariah...I never understood the female hate for her.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

damnit! i've had enough! whenever i get to this page i see trix's picture and i always have to click on it to see if that thing on the top edge is sideboob or elbow. and i can never figure it out! does anyone else feel this way?

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace, I did not see the grammys, but I did hear that Teri Hatcher's dress was virtually see through. I admire your work in this field (Rachel McAdams and Love Hewitt). Any word on that?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Gypsy Rose said...

The only thing worse than having to watch Mariah Carey, is having to watch my husband inexplicably grin like a horny 14 year old when she comes on the tv.

It makes me want to wave my hands in the air screaming, "You're wrong. Just wrong." I don't really know why it angers me so. I'm not the jealous type. It's not even jealousy. He's just wrong.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Trix said...

Don: It's an elbow. But if you'd like to see the real thing, go to my blog. There's a pic of my new favorite bra...with me in it. ;)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger hoobs said...

That's supposed to be Sly Stone? It looks like Meshach Taylor was reprising his role as Hollywood from Mannequin.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ha, good work Hoobs...

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just think some things are inappropriate to wear. and some things are inappropriate to sing about all the live long day... i'll admit i throw down when her and busta's tune comes on, but you have enough money from divorcing mattola, buy a stylist... maybe not, you can't buy class.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger NewmRadio said...

Ace, nice NewmRadio plug! Sad nuff about Sly... poor old guy. And yeah, Trey totally says "I think so." We all pretty much know that, but when is the big question. My money's on Summer Tour '07.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Any time, Mike...Newmradio ain't *always* my cup of tea, but you do great work over there.

By the way, type "trey heroin" into Google...oh yeah, Slack's #1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home