Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Allmans & Grateful Red

How fitting, on the very day we discuss the velvet smoothness of the paler, bearded soul species -- Michael McDonald and Kenny Rogers -- one of my roommates offered me a last-second, extra eighth-row center ticket for the Allman Brothers Band at the Beacon.

While we're certainly permitted to semi-jokingly rank those aforementioned fellers among the greatest white soul brothers in music history, nobody puts Gregg Allman in the corner.

And sure enough, just two songs into the night, he belted out that from-the-gut "Lord, it just might happen to be your man..." a capella lyric towards the end of One Way Out, reminding us all at that moment who's truly the king of white soul. Accept no substitutes.

(Allman's looks have finally caught up to his sweet, old-timey bluesman pipes. And as he ages, he's really beginning to look like Jon Voight dressed up as Willie Nelson for Halloween.)

This was the ninth Allmans show in what seems like an annual 435-night run at the Beacon, and by all estimations, these guys are as good as ever. Gregg & ABB management have assembled an all-star roster of originals and ringers, letting the ridiculous combination of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks take over the solo shredding while the patriarch adds the fills and admits his blues.

It's really a brilliant lineup in every respect. I think everybody should have an opportunity in life to see these guys from 10-15 yards out, just so they can witness from such close range Derek and Warren trading hot licks and graciously switching roles. Everyone wants to hand Trucks the crown and scepter as guitar's greatest talent, but I think the guy to his right might take some offense to that. Personally, I thought Warren was the superior geetarist last night, though both are insane. Derek's got the cuter wife.

We were also treated to a handful of guests and different kinds of instrumentations throughout the evening, including three horn players, Truck's wife Susan Tedeschi, Mike Mattison on vocals and several people (an old guitarist and a funky bassist that replaced the unsung Oteil) that may or may not go by the band name "Random Black Guys." Does anyone have any info on who this was on stage with the Allmans? I'm not sure they were ever given a proper introduction, and I didn't recognize them.

Guest Update -- One reviewer on the Allmans site shares this info: "The Gregg Allman Horns (Jay Collins, Chris Karlic, Jim Seely) join for a sweet rendition of 'Loving You Too Long' that has couples swaying in the aisles like prom night...

Set two begins, and there’s a party on the stage. In yet another gesture to their past, the band welcomes members of the Kingpins, who played with King Curtis on his own classic Fillmore record, the one with 'Soul Serenade.' Cornell Dupree is on guitar, seated behind Derek and to the right; Jerry Jemmott has taken Oteil’s slot on bass, and Bernard Purdie, one of the most renowned drummers around, is on Butch’s kit; no Butch, no Marc. Mike Mattison from Derek’s band is sitting in on vocals. And the horns are back. So left to right, there are 11 guys on stage. It is our own Soul Revue."

As good as the band played (and they were fantastic), I think the highlight of the night was a special guest in the aisle of my row: Bill Walton. About 20 minutes into the show, a seven-footer strolled up next to us and stopped in his tracks. Unmistakable and unmissable, Grateful Red hung out about five feet from us all evening. Far be it from me to ruin his evening, we did not converse, not even about the handful of e-mails we've traded in the past, most of which conclude "Aiko Aiko, Bill Walton." I love that man.

Here's a shitty camera phone pic I took of him reaching his arms up 10 feet in the air and cheering on the band during the final notes of the Revival closer:

Many thanks to Roomate Glaser for hooking up a fantastic ticket, and many apologies for taking oney hits in front of his father. Last night was a helluva show, a great impromptu evening. I thought it was a bad sign when the band took the stage and my first thought was, "Man, Gregg Allman is going to be the next great music death."

But as it turns out, the band is as healthy as I've ever heard it, invigorated by some serious talent and held down by its original roots. Nobody left to run with? Bah, Greggor, there'll always be people lined up to run with youse guys.

Slack Quote of the Day: "In the grand scheme of us acquiring mediocre pitching, this move makes a lot of sense." --Diehard Cincinnati Reds fan Mitchell VergerDartz III, sounding off on the Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena trade. I, for one, think this is a pretty good deal for the Redlegs, and I hope Tim McCarver calls more of Brandon Arroyo's games this season. Dipshit.

Slack Video of the Day: Today we're featuring two disparate YouTube videos sharing the same music. First, a talented young gun plays the Mario Brothers theme on two guitars. Up next, a Super Mario Brothers Meets Kill Bill fight scene for the ages.

Slack Song of the Day: You're not just gettin' an Allman Brothers song today. Nope, you're due for a full Allman Brothers set. From the Fillmore East on 2/11/70, here's a super recording of the one and only ABB playing five tunes: Liz Reed, Statesboro Blues, Trouble No More, Hoochie Coochie Man and Mountain Jam. That's gouda.

30 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

Oneys in front of Glaser's dad?! Ace, you fiend you.

I think if you're a rock and roll guy, seeing ABB during one of their Beacon runs is on your Before-You-Die checklist.

Did Warren do Soul Shine? I love ABB so I hate to make fun, but I've seen ABB or Warren in one of his bands probably a couple of dozen times, and I swear I've never seen a show when he hasn't doen Soul Shine.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger kyle said...

I think the brass is a group called Jukes Horns. And the one of the random guitar guests looks like Hubert Sumlin. He wasn't scheduled to sit in Monday night but it might be him.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Now now, I was pretty clever and surreptitious about it. Not sure if he caught me or not. I will say, the security guard in our section knew all the words to all the songs and had NO intentions of doing his job, which was a bonus for us. I think he was even smoking cigs and gettin' high.

Great point re: Soulshine, TJ. This was the first time I've seen Warren in any capacity in which he did not sing the tune. Though, I must admit, I actually like that song a whole lot. So I wouldn't have minded.

I really wanted to hear Desdemona, believe it or not. I know it's not the greatest song, and it's a fairly newbie, but I love when Gregg sings that tune.

Also not played: Any of the Dickie numbers and Mountain Jam. But, hey, setlist shmetlist, I had a fuckin' ball.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ooooh, thanks for the info, Kyle. If you hear anything concrete or see anything in additional setlists, please let me know.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

I know, I'm just pickin' at ya. And that Voight-as-Nelson take is dead-on!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger ethan said...

that trade is weird considering the reds traded casey to open up a spot for pena. so now the reds are left with an outfield of griffey, kearns, and mccracken/denorfia. and there's no way griffey and kearns play a full season (meaning freel gets bumped to the of and rich aurilia enters the mix). arroyo's a flyball pitcher too, which is not good in that ballpark. on the plus side, he's much much better against rhb's, and the nl central isn't exactly a hotbed for lefty sluggers (with fielder, jenkins, and (gulp) koskie, only milwaukee projects to have > 2 solid lhb in their lineup).

it's also questionable from boston's point of view. sure it's nice to platoon pena with trot, but pena doesn't get on base at all and joins a full outfield (crisp, manny, trot). plus pena's rather injury prone himself. so they got rid of a mid-rotation starter for a backup outfielder, while 2 of their starters (schilling, wells) are in their 40's.

slight edge: cincy.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

Dunn goes back to the OF and Hatteberg plays 1B. He and Casey are basically the same player.

I always liked going to see Pena, but he was somewhat of a headcase, he was indeed injury-prone, he was regularly out-of-shape, and he had a bad attitude about not playing everyday.

And even mediocre pitching is an improvement for the Reds. Like I said, as a hometown fan I loved Wily Mo, but I too give the slight advantage to the Redlegs.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

When I had long blond hair I so wanted to be Greg Allman. Sadly, I looked more like Jay from Clerks.

Okay, Bill Walton may have good taste in music, but in no way is he cool. He actually makes The Allmans and The Dead less cool by associating with them. I hate that man and his dumb, center position focused basketball analysis.

I love your page though! Funny shit!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

that's awesome about ABB last night! i'm going tonight, can't wait! what time did they come on last night?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger ethan said...

i agree that dunn may move back to the of, but i don't think hatteberg and casey are even remotely comparable. besides comparing career obp and slg, hatteberg is 5 years older and over the last 3 years has an OPS under .700 against lhp while casey has been well over .800 in that same span.

but i guess it's either move dunn to the of and use hatteberg at 1b, or move freel to the of and use aurilia/womack at 2b. pick your poison i suppose.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I kinda like the Reds' trading for Arroyo, even if it means ANOTHER number-three or number-four starter. But I have a feeling Wily Mo is going to be Wily Schmo for the rest of his career, a perennial underachiever that can't crack the starting lineup every day no matter who's in front of him.

So, really, I don't mind the trade for the Reds, whereas I think it's terrible for the Sawx. I mean, Arroyo was signed for a CHEAP contract, and yet they still sent him packing.

And you know what that tells me? Nobody in their right mind wants David Wells. This whole trade is the Sawx way of telling the world that Wells is a giant fatass that nobody wants.

Doc, I must disagree with you about Walton...sure, he's a guy that everyone either loves or hates, but he is extremely knowledgeable and calls every game with passion and intensity. Plus, he's funny as fuck. Big fan. You're saying you don't like how he calls the game from a center-perspective? The guy was a center...Call what you know!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Elliot, they played from about 8:20 to 9:35, and then about 10:10 til about 11:30.

Have fun, and look out for Walton.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger offpeak34 said...

thanks dude, can't wait! i don't know if my seats are that good, but i'll definitely be looking out for walton. did you get tickets to TLG at CBGB? by the way...how'd you like that friday night show last week?

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sitting smack-dab between Rooomate Glaser and Ace and was privy to the Sleaze-meister that is Bill Walton...I was trying to enjoy the show, but Bill was like a planet to my moon with an intense gravitational pull...And every time I glanced over I saw Bill molesting some chick who was flat as a board and who's arms were the size of twigs...Needless to say, I was a little put off by Chester the Molester

Oh, yeah...Ace failed to mention that he was wearing the shirt of the band he went to see...tool!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

As the Wily Mo turns...

One of my former roommates and J-school chums is a baseball writer and had this to say about the deal:

"I'm in Red Sox camp today and noticed a couple of things that make the trade seem pretty ominous for any Reds fan alive:

a. Willy Mo apparently feels pretty comfortable here already. Upon arriving with his big Reds duffle in tow, Pena got a great big hug from Ortiz, then proceeded to have some unbelievable bombs in BP. The Sox' beat writers were aghast. I must say, so was I. He hit one over the scoreboard in center field, a shot no one here has ever seen.

b. Arroyo hates Cincinnati. He pretty much said as much off the record, although he sort of took it back later. Basically, he only wants to play for the Red Sox. Period. On the plus side, he did play with Larue in the Fall League.

This whole deal has an ugly feel to it."

So there you have it. And Walton fucking rules, by the way.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Whoooa, Wily Mo may make us all look like fools after all.

As for the Walton, Anon., I reserve judgment until I know his relation to said girl. Maybe it's his Sopranos-esque "gumar."

And, for the record folks, unless the Allmans change their name to "Untitled White Undershirt" (featuring No Logo Whatsoever), I have been falsely accused.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Mr. SAT...I was refering to Walton's tie-dyed tee NOT Ace's oh-so stylish white Hanes...

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Some Dude said...

Ace think you go the date wrong of the Allmans show. Don't think the Fillmore East was open in 1990 - I'm it's 1970

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ha, now I got ya! Yes, Walton was That Guy with the shirt of the band...but I think that rule is okay for nostalgia bands or people older than 50. Preach on, sistah.

And yeah, SD, it was *clearly* 1970. I am a typo machine today.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger ethan said...

thanks for the tip tj. you have to love hearing that arroyo hates cincy. not very diplomatic...

but before we assume wily mo will be the next great hispanic slugger, remember this: pena will predominantly play against lhp. of the 18 lh starters in the al last year with > 10 starts, 11 were in the top 30 in era (8 in top 20, including #2, 3, 4 johan, buerhle, washburn). that means roughly 61% of the guys he will regularly face were in the top 1/3 of starting pitchers.

over in the nl, only 6 lhp of the 20 with > 10 starts were in the top 30. so only 30% of the guys he faced in the nl were in the top 1/3 of the league's pitchers.

i realize era isn't the greatest stat (should've probably used whip or something better), but basically the al has roughly twice as many good lefties as does the nl. so i'd expect less power and even more punchouts from ol' wily.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger kyle said...

Ace, the official guests for the other night were:
Jay Collins: Tenor Sax
Jim Seeley: Trumpet
Chris Karlic: Baritone Sax
Mike Mattison, MC
Cornell Dupree, guitar
Bernard Purdie, drums
Jerry Jemmott, bass
Susan Tedeschi, vocals
Duane Trucks, drums


Just in case anybody

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

If anybody (Ethan) is still following this, more from my guy at Sox camp. If you can't tell, he's a long-suffering Reds fan:

"Willy Mo hit a sharp single through the left side of the infield in his first at bat with the Sox today. Red Sox nation gave him a standing O. I'm telling you,
I have a sinking feeling about this trade. He may not be Henry Aaron, but I do think he's the next David Ortiz, but with even more power.

The BP bombs he hit were even more impressive than the ones I saw McGwire hit at Shea back in 98. And the sick thing is, Pena's swing is nice and easy. If he
learns to hit breaking stuff, it's all over.

Hey, wait a sec. You know who couldn't hit breaking stuff? Ortiz in Minnesota, right? Oh sh*t. Was Krivsky with the Twinkies when they shipped Ortiz to Boston? I
bet he was. Everyone in that front office has been there for at least a decade. Crap. Another bad omen.

This is bad. Very bad. Paul Householder bad. Nick Esasky bad. Alex Trevino bad. Gary Redus bad."

There's bad, and then there's Paul Householder/Gary Redus bad...

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Thanks, Kyle...I actually posted much of that as an update in the post yesterday, but I forgot to include the younger Trucks (younger, yes?). But I appreciate the check-up.

TJ, that's a great email...I'm still not sold on Wily Mo until I see it in real time on the field. And you know what? As good as he may become, I can't wait to see how Trawt Nixon reacts to all this pro-Wily Mo sentiment.

Wily Mo is NOT gonna be the next Ortiz...I see him more as an Orestes Destrade (ha!).

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger TJ in OH said...

Did Wily Mo play at that game we went to last year where Danny Graves was mercilessly booed off the mound by the hometown fans? That's one of my favorite at-the-game moments ever.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous donutogre said...

I'm totally down with this trade. I like Arroyo a lot, even more so after reading his comments over the past day. He's a very stand-up guy, very sincere and honest about his feelings without coming off as a spoiled prick like Judas playing center in the Bronx ;)

From a baseball standpoint, Arroyo was never going to be more than a #3-4 at best...his K/9 numbers dropped drastically last season, and he basically was ineffective against lefties. With the surplus of pitching we have plus all the good guys in the minors, pitching isn't a problem.

Granted, we may wish we had him still if Schilling and/or Wells goes down. But even if they both did, we'd have Clement, Wakefield, Papelbon, Beckett, and could pull some guys up from the minors to plug the holes.

Pena may be super-raw but he never played in the minors to refine his skills...he's only 24...huge upside there.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Michael said...

The dual tap Mario Bros. clip is very impressive. It also settles the question: "Who the hell would buy those ugly ass Paul Gilbert signature Ibanez guitars witht he f-holes." I bet he has 6 more of them off camera.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger ethan said...

"Granted, we may wish we had him still if Schilling and/or Wells goes down. But even if they both did, we'd have Clement, Wakefield, Papelbon, Beckett, and could pull some guys up from the minors to plug the holes."

but that's assuming beckett and clement don't get hurt as well. that's a big if.

4 of the starting 5 spent a good chunk of last season hurting. i don't know that the sox have even 2 prospects ready to start on a regular basis for the big club (most of their good young arms are relievers - hansen, delcarmen, meredith, dinardo).

arroyo is a pretty safe pick to make 30 starts. pena likely won't get > 250 ab's (barring some major injury to crisp or manny).

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I believe Wily Mo did play in that game, but I'd have to check a box score. What a ludicrous game -- the Dodgers were up 10-0 by the time we found our seats, and we walked into the stadium in the first! Between that and Graves being booed off the mound for the 10th straight game, that was classic.

Ethan, lovin' your analysis here. Always nice to add some statistical brain to my largely anecdotal pen.

Donut, welcome bud! As a Yanks fan, I only hope your optimism is just that and nothing more.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Stargazer said...

"... like Jon Voight dressed up as Willie Nelson for Halloween" BEST description ever--you really outdid yourself on that one. I love it. and now I cant stop envisioning that when I think of Mr.Allman.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ha, thanks, Stargazer...I kinda like that line too if I can toot my own horn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home