Monday, March 06, 2006

Awful Choice

Who had the worse year, Isiah Thomas or Hollywood executives? If Crash was indeed the best production to come out of the left coast this year, I'm thinking it's definitely the latter.

I can't be the only person who thought Crash was a destitute poor man's Traffic about racism instead of drugs, right? Maybe it's because I waited too long to see it, but I thought Crash was one of the more overrated movies I've seen in a long time.

There may have featured some really good scenes (mainly the Latino locksmith) and some of the acting was above average, but this movie left absolutely nothing to the imagination. It spelled everything out in the most in-your-face of terms and was just completely devoid of all subtleties and nuance. Okay, we get it, there's racism in the LAPD. Shit, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo broke more ground than Crash.

But that's the beauty of movies -- they emote such different reactions from people who have even the most similar of tastes. I didn't see that many movies this year, but if Crash was the best one in Hollywood, than it really was as bad a year for movies, as everybody knows but nobody admitted last night.

If you really want to discuss overt racism today, look no further than the exchange Hoobs and I had on Friday night before heading out (to Common Ground, a super-cool bar on Ave A, check it out). Hoobs picked up my 2006 NY Times Almanac and began firing some trivia questions at me, when we came to this impasse...

Hoobs: What's the official beverage of Mississippi?
Ace: N*gger blood?

Yeah, I used the n-word, but hot damn that's funny. It's okay to laugh.

My Favorite Oscar Note: Hey, whoa, isn't that Congresswoman Wyatt singing the song from Crash?! How did Andy get up there?

Slack Link of the Day: "Makers of the hit cartoon The Simpsons have a filmed the show's opening titles using real actors," according to The Sun. You can see this cool scene for yourself right here on YouTube.

Slack Video of the Day (updated): Since the Natalie Portman SNL skit was deleted off of YouTube, I offer this instead...

Slack Song of the Day: It's been a joyful weekend for the Cowboy Clan, so who better to usher in the new era than Robert Randolph. Okay, that made no sense. Regardless, here's a wonderful rendition of I Get Joy from Bonnaroo 2002. And for good measure, because I like bonuses, I'll throw in a little Voodoo Chile.

15 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Don Fiedler said...

You nailed it with Crash: the most in-your-face film about a subject requiring the most subtlety. Racism is far more nuanced and beneath the surface than this film would have you believe. And that form of racism is far more dangerous and difficult to defeat than the laughable "asians can't drive" crap that Crash throws on screen (though apparently Asians are 57% more likely to suffer a deadly drive-by dental floss blindfolding).

By the way, Transamerica is a fantastic film. Go see it.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Ordinarily I would say Crash won because it appealed to liberal Hollywood sensibilities. But that theory doesn't hold water because Crash defeated a vastly superior film, Brokeback Mountain, that also appealed to liberal Hollywood sensibilities. So I'm dumbfounded.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Jacob Eli said...

that live action simpson's intro is really cool.

why, however, do they have marge driving UK-style, with her wheel on the left, and Maggie's fake wheel on the right? Homer's wheel, on the other hand, is on the right side.

i'm pretty sure that's inaccurate to the animated version, yes yes?

Niles Standish.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Tracie said...

It was really great to see Tarantino give his opinion on Jimmy Kimmel right after the awards. He said his picks for best movies this year would be Sin City, Domino, Devil's Rejects and I would have to agree.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger hoobs said...

For anyone who is curious, milk is the real official drink of Mississippi, which might be more racist than Ace's remark. Why can't it be chocolate milk?

Speaking of racism, I agree with you all: Crash was definitely not great or even really very good. Good Night and Good Luck was much better, as was Capote. I felt that both dealt with the conflicts of personal prejudices in a much more complex and real way than Crash. I didn't see that movie about butt-cowboys

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Oprah says that "everyone MUST OWN the movie Crash". I take that as a sign to stay away. Capote was better than I thought, and this may sound funny, but Hustle & Flow was quite enjoyable.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fuggh the SNL skit has already been removed...damn

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I really hate how the corporate thugs at NBC are keeping Youtube from showing SNL skits.

Anonymous, if you take the attitude that anything Oprah likes must be bad, you're missing an awful lot of really wonderful stuff. I don't watch her show, but I admire her for including some truly great books for her book club.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous SpanishMiguel said...

Gotta say, I liked Crash a lot. Not the best movie this year, but at least 6th best. Here, I can prove it.

Best films of 2006
1. History of Violence
2. Brokeback Mountain
3. Constant Gardener
4. Me You and Everyone We Know
5. Hustle and Flow
6. Crash

Munich was pretty good, too. Hoobs, gotta say Good Night, Good Luck was a nice film (which I saw yesterday in the cinema) but it didn´t knock my cock off. As for movies that deal with political issues, Constant Gardener was far superior, and managed to provide political commentary within the context of an original, interesting story.

Gotta say, I´m pretty fed up with all these historical/biographical pics.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Me You and Everyone We Know was easily the best movie I saw this year. I admittedly didn't see much, but that film floored me, I loved it.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, if you take the attitude that anything Oprah likes must be bad, you're missing an awful lot of really wonderful stuff. I don't watch her show, but I admire her for including some truly great books for her book club.

I actually saw the movie and I thought it was pretty good. She can cram James Frey and those books you know where...

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

you can see the Natalie Portman SNL Rap if you act fast at: www.break.com

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger hoobs said...

To me the best movie about racism, politics, prejudices, etc. this year was Cache; probably because it hardly brings those issues into the forefront at all. That movie really lulls you into Bourgeois comfort, and then slowly rips it apart. It would have probably been better if I was French (instead I'm just a freedom-loving francophile), but I still really liked it.
Batman Begins was my dog too.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Boski93 said...

A Marbury/Francis back court. Isiah hands down is the winner. . . er loser.

I am still steamed that was no nominations for xXx : State of Union.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Ace,

Double True on Me, You, and Everyone We Know,

Bizarre, terribly interesting, and it has one of the best conversations ever captured on film.

Also, just saw Tristram Shandy on Sunday. If you liked American Splendor, check it out. Truly original.

Crash should have been called "Racism!" because it would have been more accurate, and no movie called "Racism!" could ever win an Oscar, unless it was a musical comedy. Which actually might be a good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home