Thursday, March 16, 2006

"Madness," I Says to Him, I Says

Straight ahead of me sits my computer. To my left, only about 18 inches away, I stare at this for the majority of the day:

Thankfully, this set-up has come in handy on many occasions: countless Yankees' day games, World Baseball Classic matchups, Olympic hockey, MTV Rock 'n Jock softball games, Jenny Jones and Rikki Lake, the occasional cooking show. But when it really comes down to it, I'd give up the teevee and all the joy it brings me. You can have it, except for two days a year: today and tomorrow.

It's tournament time, and one firm estimates some $3.8 billion will be lost in worker productivity over the course of the next two weeks (but how much time and money was spent calculating that figure, guys?). And as I said last year, the study also assumes that people actually work hard the other 200+ days a year, which is blatantly false and patently foolish of them.

CBS Sportsline is streaming the games for free this year, and apparently there's a "boss button," which when pressed launches a fake spreadsheet. Pure genius.

This week has been pretty craisins, so I unfortunately don't have time for my usual tournament preview. Hopefully you've all been reading and will continue to peruse Lukas' SI.com Tourney Blog in lieu of my overrated and especially amateur basketball commentary. So this'll act as more of an OPEN THREAD than analysis -- if you want to blow off work and hang out here or just comment on something going on, we'll provide you refuge from your boring workaday lives.

A couple of notes: Last year I accurately prognosticated #14 Bucknell would take down #3 Kansas (leading to a 100% perfect Syracuse bracket, every game correct), and this year I'm predicting #15 Winthrop will upset #2 Tennessee. I'm not just saying that to be contrarian, I truly believe it. Make it happen, Throppers.

--The toughest match-up I had trouble with was Memphis/Kansas in the Elite Eight. I can see Kansas' youngsters rallying through this toruney and winning that game, but I like Memphis' superior star talent and bevy of future pros. Thusly, I've got Calipari & Company in the Final Four, and I've got John Chaney busting into the press conference and threatening to kick Calipari's ass. I'll keeel you.

--First #1 seed to fall? Villanova, to Wisconsin in round two. Lowest seed in the Sweet Sixteen? That'll be #10 Seton Hall after defeating Wichita State and the aforementioned Winthrop. Biggest bracket buster? Boston College, when they lose to Nevada and everyone loses their "awesome sleeper team, dude."

--Here's my Final Four: Texas beats LSU, Memphis downs Gonzaga, UConn takes down UNC and Ohio State wallops an over-achieving Nevada squad. Eventually, UConn beats Texas in the finals, and Jim Calhoun passes out for the 13th time of his coaching career. I boldly predict Charlie Villanueva shows up for the final game and looks like a bald orange cat in the stands.

Enjoy the Big Dance...let's all have a good show.

6 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger MDS said...

If you were Mitch Albom, you'd write about how Charlie Villanueva had already been to the game.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I think we talked about this once before, but I blame Albom's editors more than Albom on that one...from most stories I've heard, the guy's a d-bottle deluxe, but that's another issue altogether. That was clearly the editor's fault, as reporters do what he did all the time.

Shiite, Seton Hall down 16 at half...like the girl who blows her date on the bus to the formal, it looks like one of my predictions is goin' down early.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

I had Seton Hall too. Last time I ever wager on a college with the word "hall" in the name. I'm making that vow right now.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Yeah, I was just joking about Albom, I blame his editors, too. It was actually on dhodge's blog where we discussed that, Ace.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Double OT for Pacific and Boston College...somewhere Michael Olowokandi is banging that girl from my Valentine's post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home