Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Book: White-Hatin' Coon

Last week I was talking to a female co-worker about a study concerning the remarkably low tax rate corporations are currently paying to the government. I know, my job sounds really fun.

I pointed her to the study, which showed many corporations paid no taxes at all between 2001 and 2003, and that on the whole, the biggest 275 companies forked over only "half the statuatory rape."

Yes, I said "statuatory rape" to a pregnant co-worker. I obviously meant "rate," only one letter off. It happens, the brain is a funky place. I may have inexplicably revealed the fact that I secretly like the young'ins, or maybe I just misspoke, as humans are inclined to do.

I bring that amusing occupational anecdote up because a St. Louis talk radio personality was fired on the spot after he slipped and used the word "coon" in a conversation about Condoleezza Rice. The funny thing is, the radio host was actually praising her and thought she'd make a good NFL Commissioner, the discussion topic:

“She’s just got a patent resume, of somebody that’s got such serious skill,” Linehan said on the air. “She loves football, she’s African-American, which would kind of be a big coon, a big coon – oh my God, I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that, OK? I didn’t mean that. That was just a slip of the tongue.” Lenihan later said he meant to use the word "coup."

Obviously you can't say shit like this on the radio (nor can you say bomb in an airport). But if ever there were a professional mistake, this is it. He added an "n" onto a word and it cost him his job. Immediately. That's just not right.

Suspend him for a week, send him to racism school, do what you gotta do. But to fire this man is to admit ignorance in the matters of the brain. This isn't ignorance or lack of sophistication, this is the oldest mystery on the planet.

Fuckin' coons, ruining all the fun for everyone.

Slack Link of the Day: In the aftermath of Peter Tomarken's death last week, Dan over at The Daily Dump has been counting down the top-five game shows of our youth. I highly recommend checking out his rankings (#1 should debut today) thus far.

Slack Song of the Day: It's always nice to see a performer you spent countless hours listening to in the most formative years. God Street Wine was basically the soundtrack to my Sega Genesis Basement Days after high school let out, and frontman and guitarist Lo Faber was one of my first musical idols.

I caught Lo last night at a Lower East Side shack called Sin-E, accompanied by Some Dude from Hits from the Blog. Lo opened up for a band called Dumpshot, or Jumpshot, or Gladshot or something (I obviously didn't stay for their show).

He played for about an hour, some acoustic solo, some with a keyboardist and guitarist, some with a back-up vocalist from his rock opera. He played more than a handful of GSW songs, mixed in with newer songs. I love that he had the balls to introduce one of his tunes, "This one's from my second rock opera."

Anyway, here are the old-school GSW tunes I polished off and broke out last night: Red & Milky Way, Driving West, Happy Birthday Mr. President, Thirsty, You Know Me Best (unreleased GSW tune), Feel the Pressure > Get on the Train and Borderline.

And now for a few extra GSW tunes, just for good luck: Nightengale, Wendy, Molly, Tina's Town, Bring Back the News, Epiphany and Mile By Mile. All of these are taken from the 10/29/94 Garton's show on the Live Music Archive.

4 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I just wanted to comment so there wasn't a proverbial tumbleweed blowing through the comments section here. I there for you Ace.

[resume sound of crickets in the comments section]

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Well played, Matty. What happened today? I just want people to play with me...is that so bad?

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I heard the audio clip today, and I have to say that the guy is entitled to screw up, but he was laughing about it, which was dumb of him. I agree with you that he should have had a suspension or something, and not fired on the spot like he was.

Freud would have said that the word coon was from his unconscious mind. Fucking unconscious racist . . .

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that this guy should have been suspended or something. But, your comment, "Fuckin coons ruining it for everyone", was overt ignorance and stupidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home