Friday, March 24, 2006

NCAA or LLWS?

I'm all for raw emotion. I have no qualms with either JJ Redick or Adam Morrison shedding public tears over these brutal losses. Really, I don't. But I never thought I'd see the day when an adult athlete would lay in the middle of the court or field and bawl his cryin' eyes out.

AP Photo/John Bazemore

Oh Adam, how very Little League World Series of you. One of the nation's best players worked his mustachioed ass off this season and had the Elite Eight wrapped up, only to have it yanked away at the last second. To come this far and lose like that...I don't know how anyone would deal with that. Shit, I think his open display of human emotion was awesome. Perhaps that's because I am totally dead inside.

Two unbelievable endings within a 20-minute span last night...I don't know about you, but I can't wait for One Shining Moment this year. Fuck it, just end the tournament now -- I'm not entirely sure how it can get any better than that.

Slack Link of the Day: For some more professional analysis of the NCAA Tournament (and other fun topics, like "Is there a modern day Bill Walton hippiefolk in this hip hop-dominated era of college hoops?"), make sure to click on over to the SI.com Tourney Blog.

Slack Video of the Day: The tourney games last night kept me from attending a sneak preview of the Beastie Boys new concert film Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That! According to something I saw on the Interweb today, "This innovative concert movie was shot with 50 video cameras handed out to fans at an October 2004 Beastie Boys concert at Madison Square Garden." Check out the trailer here.

For interested New Yorkers...on March 28th, there'll be a showing of the film along with a discussion with band member and filmmaker Adam Yauch -- a.k.a. MCA, a.k.a. Nathanial Hörnblowér -- after the screening at the Loews 34th Street (cough, for $24).

Slack Video of the Day II: Wanna kill four and a half minutes? Watch this guy's awesome juggling routine to a soundtrack of Abbey Road.

Slack Song of the Day: It's a hodgepodge kind of Friday...and a little bit of a Two for Tuesday. Here's Eyes of the World and Standing on the Moon from the Comes a Time Tribute to Jerry (9/24/05), This Ain't Livin' and Cold Beverages by G. Love and the Special Sauce (10/16/01), and Shine and Three Car Church by Vorcza (4/13/05).

Slack Podcast of the Day: Our friend over at Newmradio produced a nice podcast featuring the music of the popular rock band Phish. One problem: Even he doesn't know which shows some of these versions come from. So help some folks out after you listen to this (if you listen to this) and leave a comment if you have a vague idea from whence they came. First, enjoy some Phish...from Vermont.

16 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Betty said...

This picture really made my day. Poor Reddick, I am more upset I didn't get to wear my duke = puke tshirt this year.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger rob ronanea said...

last night was probably the best night in college basketball since maryland won the championship.

gotta love texas and i can't lie--i'm a sucker for watching athletes cry. it brings me such joy (same with watching people try to paralel park)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I almost cried when Gonzaga lost too. I love watching those goofy white kids play! I heard that Morrison is 6'8" and 205 pounds. So, he's 6 inches taller than me and only 15 pounds heavier? I think he'll need to lift weights to be effective in the NBA. That and he needs to stop crying. He should keep the floppy hair, striped socks, and grease monkey moustache though. Great look.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I never understood the hate for Duke...I never quite get why people refuse to enjoy greatness in action. I'm not the biggest Duke fan, but I'm also not a blind hater.

And it's incredible what this academic school has done over the past two decades, especially in light of the fact that I went to a school with similar standards and we're the only school from a major Div I conference to have never made the tourney. Ever. They've made six finals in the last 16 years, winning three of them. That's just incredible. Hate all you want, I couldn't care less -- but I just don't see the purpose.

Morrison is a funny species...everything about him is wrong, and yet it all works. Personally I don't think there's a single person out there I'd draft over him, but then again, I don't really care where he goes because the NBA is garbage and I won't be watching him often at the next level. Good thing the Knicks don't have a first-round pick this year.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger rob ronanea said...

why do i hate duke? i'm a huge terps fan. it's a big rivalry. the desktop wallpaper on my computer at home is that amazing screenshot of the little boy wearing a duke jersey crying, sitting on his father's lap as MD has 5 seconds left before beating Duke for the ACC championship in 03.

plus, do you remember that game where MD was up by 10 with 56 seconds left and duke still beat them? yeah, makes my blood boil...

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

The Knicks don't have a first-round pick this year? Good god, that team is in shambles.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Not you, Robby...that was more for Betty and all the people reading this that were thinking about how much they hate Duke. I can feel it. I can feel that shit. Anyone who went to school in the ACC has free reign to hate on Duke.

Nope, no first round pick, Russ. That's the Eddy Curry trade for ya -- they traded away the pick with NO protections whatsoever. Isiah is more of a joke than Scott Layden, and that's just hysterical.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

I bleed Duke blue. Even though I live in Boston, I see them play at least 4-5 times per year. I never went there and the only connection I have is that the future wife's aunt is a dean at the Duke Med School. But I have loved Duke since I was a kid (although I can't stand Laettner). I don't understand the blind hatred either.

Maryland sure did rock the NIT this year. Oh wait, they didn't even do that.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Ace, do Duke and Northwestern really have higher academic standards for their basketball players than other big-conference schools do? I just find it really hard to believe that there are many instances of Coach K really wanting a player and being told "no dice" by the admissions department. (Also, I've heard that sociology is considered the easiest major at Duke and that most basketball players there are sociology majors.)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Underwater basketweaving is the second most popular major among basketball players. Luol Deng made it popular in his one year there.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

MDS, I see your point, but let me ask you this: Do you think Glenn Robinson would be allowed to play for Duke or NU?

I dont think there's a chance. I'm sure there are other schools that wouldn't let him play there either. But I think there are higher standards -- they're not the standards of the non-athlete student body, but they're higher than, say, Ohio State or Arizona.

And even if you took that argument out of my earlier statement, I still would remark at 6 title games in 16 years in this era of college hoops.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

I felt back for him. I did. And I'm tired of the no love for Sheldon Williams, damn it. And I'm not even a Duke fan.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

back? I meant bad, damn it.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I hate Duke because I went to Indiana, it's a second nature thing to me. Same reason I will always hate Maryland for winning the final game against us my Junior year.

I think it's an alumni code of honor, you must never root for Duke or Maryland. Or any of the other big ten schools.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

All this time I thought Duke and Maryland were in the ACC...........

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Ace, no doubt that Coach K is amazing -- best coach since Wooden, and maybe he'll go down in history as better than Wooden when it's all said and done. I just don't like how I often hear implications that he's academically and even morally superior to other coaches. I'm not convinced about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home