Thursday, March 09, 2006

That's a Big Green Apple

So they finally announced the lineup for the Green Apple Music Festival, and it's not all that much different than the one I posted at the end of February.

It all kicks off with the Jammy Awards on Thursday, April 20th ("That's like 4/20, man, we can toootally get baked and go to that, duuude"), then continues with three amazing nights and days of music around New York City. Here's the list of the musicians and bands and where they'll be taking the stage around the city for the Green Apple festy.

Friday night looks like conflict central...but if I could be in several places at once, I'd certainly try to check out Umphrey's McGee at CBGB (that sold out in about 30 seconds), Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Steve Kimock Band, Particle's new lineup with Scott Metzger and Ben Combe, and Toots and the Maytals with Soulive. I really want to see Toots and Soulive, but I have a feeling it'll be Particle at the Bowery > Bela at BB King's.

Saturday brings Kaki King around (with Dan Bern), Deep Banana Blackout on the Rocks Off Cruise, the Everyone Orchestra, Bela at Irving Plaza and Kimock again, but I'm pretty sure Little Feat will win the night. Sunday, if I don't see the Fab Faux at 3 pm, I'll go back on the boat for Zen Tricksters and Max Creek.

Or maybe I'll just sleep in all weekend. Thoughts on the lineup? Thoughts on my choices? Thoughts on my heady awesomeness?

5 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous stealy_fan said...

I'd of course say pgroove on Fri night...but I think mexicali blues is in NJ, right?

I've heard good/crazy things about the Muytator - and that's a late night show on Sat.

The Slip is always a good time - Ryan Montbleau is a singer songwriter from up here in Boston.

Wonder who the "very special artist" is at the Bowery Sat/Sun?

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Some Dude said...

Looks slightly underwhelming. Was expecting bigger and better.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Russell Kahn said...

I think you meant to say:

"Saturday brings Dan Bern around (with Kaki King)"

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger ahren said...

kaki king, flecktones, kimock, the slip... i'd make efforts to see as many of those 4 as possible.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger rob ronanea said...

Dan Bern is not to be missed... but then again, so are SO many other bands. mike doughty is the man. my future wife will be opening for the toots/soulive show. the slip with throw down... assembly of dust with martin sexton!!

antibalas with baaba maal!?? ghostface and slick rick!!!

mutaytor is supposed to be crazy awesome. don't miss toubab krewe either!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home