Friday, April 28, 2006

Earl Weaver: Awesome

A special Friday night pre-Duo post for y'all:

Do yourself a favor and listen to this absolutely classic interview with former Orioles manager Earl Weaver for what sounds like an "Ask the Manager" type of segment for a local broadcast. People talk about Hal McRae and Lee Elia and Lou Piniella and Bobby Knight, but this might be the greatest two minutes of off-color managerial blow-up ever recorded. Here you go, and I recommend a second helping.

Why have I never heard this before? Where the hell has everyone been on this? Probably playing for the "fucking, goddamn Atlanta Braves."

Incidentally, if you took the under in the "Steve Howe Makes It to 50" prop bet, you may now sadly collect your winnings. We always knew the former Yankee reliever would flame out early, but most of us never imagined it'd be in a flipped pick-up truck. Steve, may your pain finally be eased and may your soul finally be saved.

(Major praise be to Greg for passing along the priceless Weaver clip...)

4 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

Thanks for the Steve Howe obit. I remember following his depressing saga as a youngster. He was probably the first public figure I ever followed through the whole abuse/rehab/relapse cycle.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

VERY FUNNY stuff there. I'm still partial to Lee Elia, but I'm a die-hard Cubbies fan. I think my Cubbies need some "big cocksuckers that can hit the ball out of the fucking park," if by that Earl meant power hitters.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Guss said...

I heard this a few years ago when I use to do a college sports show...hilarious! (and yes we edited for FCC approval)

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger St. Shanice said...

there is no way that is legit

no fucking way

i am calling bullshit, funny as hell but bullshit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home