Thursday, April 27, 2006

His Guitar Says Bad Mutherfucker On It

April 27, 2006 -- "QUENTIN Tarantino is going from 'Pulp Fiction' to 'Purple Haze' now that he's reportedly signed on to direct the long-awaited biopic about Jimi Hendrix. Tarantino is said to be a 'huge fan' of the script of the untitled flick, according to producers at Dragonslayer Films, and will team up with Hendrix's brother, Leon, to tell the story of the guitar god's life. Tarantino will have full access to Hendrix's music and likeness while shooting later this year in Seattle, reports starpulse.com."

Hendrix, a mushroom cloud-layin' motherfucker, motherfucker.

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lons said...

Is this a good or a bad thing? My first instinct is that this is an awesome thing! Great director, fascinating subject matter, awesome music...

But then I start thinking...Any biopic about Jimi, even one made by QT, is probably going to oversimplify the dude's life and fail to capture his essence on screen. (Last I heard, Andre 3000 was the favorite to play the guy in the Hollywood version.)

And I'd rather see Tarantino make "Inglorious Bastards" finally, rather than mainstream Hollywood "biography of a famous guy" film.

I don't know...Time will tell...

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

See, my thought is, they're gonna make this anyway, so they might as well make it as best they can. And who can help them achieve that goal best? QT and Hendrix's brother working together. And I personally think Andre 3000 could be an INCREDIBLE call to play Jimi.

Yeah, maybe I'd like to see AT make some better flicks, but this movie is gonna be that much better because of his involvement. So I guess it's all how you look at it.

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Rashid Muhammad said...

I totally agree that A3K has Jimi written all over him. Frankly, I'm surprised that he is still alive.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

Wait, Pam Grier isn't playing Jimi?
I heard Uma Thurman was next in line.

I think a bio-pic could be good, though I agree with you that the typical formula oversimplifies everything (i.e., movie starts with one "defining" childhood moment that explains everything, and then traces the hardships of life from rise to fall to plateau.) The best way to do it (I think) is in the style of Capote, where one part of the person's life is focused on. I think you get a clearer picture of the individual and his character that way. Or perhaps it is just the actor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home