Thursday, April 27, 2006

Total Costanza Move

"Well, I, uh, I'm not sure how you pronounce it or anything, but I, uh, believe it's menage a trois?" --GC, 1/5/95

I'm all about helping out the little guy. I do what I can. So when I stumbled upon this website, whether or not it's an original idea, I felt compelled to post it and do my part.

"So, here's the story...I said to my girlfriend that any stupid website could get tons of hits, simply because people are bored all the time. She said that I was an idiot and couldn’t make a website that could get tons of hits if I wanted to. After a long argument (mostly centered around the fact that she called me an idiot) we made a bet:

If I could not make a website to get 2,000,000 hits, I would agree that I was an idiot; however, if I could make a website to get 2,000,000 hits, she would have a menage a trois (that's a threesome to you non french-speakers) with me and another girl. I thought she was kidding at the time, but then she said she was so sure of herself, that she would even put it in writing. This of course is an ultra-binding contract." Well done, sir. Great bet.

My friend, whoever you are and wherever you may be, good luck.

Slack Link of the Day: It's been well-documented that I spend a good deal of my after-tax income on live music. Just this morning I ponied up $85 a ticket for Tom Petty with Trey Anastasio. Yesterday I laid out $80 for two tickets to moe. at Central Park. Last week I bought Phil & Friends tickets for May in San Fran, and this weekend I saw 14 hours of music as part of the Green Apple Music Festival. It's been a good year, it's getting better, and it all comes on the heels of last year's personal record of 73 live performances.

A recent post on the acclaimed music blog Coolfer has some more insight into the economics of live music, Rockonomics if you will. Princeton professor Alan Krueger examined the industry going back to 1981, and here are some of his findings:

1. "Since 1996 ticket prices have outpaced inflation -- 8.9% though 2003 versus 2.3% inflation."

2. "There is a very skewed distribution of income for bands," said Krueger. "The top 5 percent of artists in 1982 generated 62 percent of the revenue. Today, they're generating 84 percent of the revenue. More people are paying more to see the best."

3. Not from Krueger, but the piece says only TWO PERCENT of Americans see more than two concerts a year. That's craisins.

Check it out, and try to follow all the links. There's a good article on Princeton's website that discusses Krueger's findings as well, in greater detail. Cool stuff.

Slack Video of the Day: The Phish boards are a wealth of great videos -- here's one called "Hot Not to Stage Dive."

Slack Song of the Day: The Redheaded Fuckface is back on the road...at least for a couple of shows. Trey has officially kicked three of the original five 70 Volt Paraders to the curb (goodbye Mr. Mysterioso, Skeeto and Les) and brought in a few of his old standbys (hello Jen, Russ and The Truth!) for this two-night stand in Atlanta. And it looks like Big Red's packin' a whole slew of new tunes as well...

In honor of a semi-return to the old, new band, here's the Trey Anastasio Band with some sweet versions of Mozambique, Sand, and Gotta Jibboo from Red Rocks '01.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

I was salivating over the Tom Petty tour when I heard that Pearl Jam was possibly joining up. Then they dropped the name Trey Anastastio and I shat my pants and turned away in silence.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Pearl Jam is joining up...they're opening shows for him too, as are the Allmans Brothers. New York got Trey, and while that may suck for the squares, I am pretty psyched about that.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Trix said...

That guy is a freaking genius. I hope his girlfriend digs chicks...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home