Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Always a First Time

Roommate Mike and I were a little short when the speedy delivery guy arrived with our tasty Sammy's Asian Gourmet. I had $11, he had $11, we needed $30. No gouda.

Ordinarily there'd be a moment of slight panic, followed quickly by a moment of harsh realization that one of us would have to follow him to the ATM downstairs in order to complete the transaction. Ordinarily. Instead, I looked to my immediate left and suggested we just take it out of the tip jar. "We'll just take it out of the tip jar," I suggested. "Right," he said knowingly.

There really is a first time for everything. And I'll always remember this one, my first time paying for Chinee food with money from a tip jar in my apartment.

You know, one of these days we should probably have another party. Maybe next weekend, Slackers drink free. Tell 'em Ace sent you.

Just remember to tip your bartender, we all gotta eat...Chinese food.


Slack Link of the Day: If you want my vote for NBA MVP, it's gotta be Kobe Bryant. The definition of the Most Valuable Player is the superstar who rubs off most on his teammates, who builds them in his image and says, "Follow me, I know the way." So when I saw new Laker Kwame Brown being investigated for sexual assault, I voted right then and there for Kobe. That's leadership.

Slack Video of the Day: In honor of the Ambiguously Trey Duo with Phil & Friends tour officially being announced, here's a clip of Phil's band playing He's Gone (Part II of vid) from 2/25/06 in Philly.

Slack Song of the Day: With the NOLA Jazz Fest goin' on right now, let's check in with one of my old boss' favorite bands, The Radiators. From 11/8/85 at the Maple Leaf, here's a sick version of That's All Right Mama, Cissy Strut, Corina and Not Fade Away.

17 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger sara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

What a great bar set up. I'll take a Jack and Coke, two limes, easy on the ice.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

Can I move in with you?

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Well, Roommate Dorsey is most likely moving out some time in the next six months...

The bar is a big selling point, probably the reason I moved in. Actually, not really, I don't even drink regularly.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

is there an entire roll of dimes or nickels in that tip jar?

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous JMoney said...

glad to see you've dedicated a fair amount of square footage in the most expensive real estate market in the country to alcohol. Vanilla Stoli and Coke please.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Guss said...

you didnt offer the delivery guy a drink? its great when im on delivery on lets say any day from thur-sat that some college kids offer me beer or that green stuff as my tip...

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Yes, Zeebs, the $8 in singles we took out of the tip jar was replaced by a $5 roll of dimes. Not sure why, but that's the way it happened. I guess it's not as easy to put a roll of dimes in a G-String, and most of our delivery dudes show up in thongs only.

Wait, guss, I can tip people in bowl hits? This changes everything.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger ethan said...

is it safe to assume there's a curled up mulgrew passed out sucking his thumb behind said bar?

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 bottles of Blue? You guys are living the high life.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous glaser said...

"Chinee" food? third paragraph...that is uncalled for!!

The bottles of blue are curtesy of girlfriend and girlfriend's parents. think they're trying to liquor me up for something?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ain't me, Glaser...Robert Heinlin, he's the racist. Read the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. That goes for all of you. Great book.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Seyeko said...

Chickity China the Chinese Chicken...see, I never buy after the 4pm lunch special ends. You pretty much pay double for the same portion. Plus you know there's always enough for leftovers. And an eggroll. Always the eggroll.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous en regalia said...

as i read that, i thought "the tip jar" was gonna be a nug jar...and what might have ensued...

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Are you naming your first born "Nugjar"?

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger The Bourbon Samurai said...

That bar looks like college to me. Good times, man, good times.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

"Ain't me, Glaser...Robert Heinlin, he's the racist. Read the Moon is a Harsh Mistress. That goes for all of you. Great book."

You may think you saved yourself that $8 by taking it from the tip jar Ace, but "tanstaafl." Or rather, "tanstafcf."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home