Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Bravo's Shitty List? THAT'S Comedy

Do you consider Sister Act an all-around funnier movie than Waiting for Guffman, or the entire Police Academy series to be more hilarious than Three Amigos? Do you believe Shrek is the third funniest movie ever created? Do you or do you not agree that Fletch and Coming to America are extremely overrated and don't rank within the top 100 greatest comedies ever made?

If you said "Yes, I'm a feckin' douchesack" to any or all of those questions, then this list's for you: Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies.

Seriously, why even perform the charade of producing a two-part show with tons of stars riffing on the funniest movies ever made in the manner of Michael Ian Black and Hal Whateverhisnameis if Fletch isn't on the list? Why even bother when The Wedding Singer breaks the top 10 but Tommy Boy can't sell his way onto the top 100? At one point I had to give myself a bit of the ol' "Serenity Now" to keep from breaking my roommate's fantastic main-room teevee.

I understand the inherent problem with lists like these: subjectivity. But no matter if you're the least objective person on this planet, Anchorman is funnier that Mrs. Doubtfire. It just is. And I'm a Robin Williams fan. Personal biases aside, School of Rock is on that list, and The 40 Year Old Virgin does not contain more hysterics per minute than Trading Places. That list is fucked.

So without any more introduction, I present to you the official, admittedly subjective Slack LaLane Top 50 (I apparently only half have the patience and/or intestinal fortitude of whomever made that Bravo list). I've never made one of those obligatory 100 Things About Me blogger posts, but this should help you get to know me better than that post ever could. Enjoy, and feel free to agree with hugs or disagree with...either way, let's hear it:

50. The Princess Bride
49. Flirting With Disaster
48. There's Something About Mary
47. Half-Baked
46. Soapdish
45. Old School
44. Dave
43. The Birdcage
42. Kingpin
41. A Fish Called Wanda
40. Dumb and Dumber
39. Wayne's World
38. Monty Python & The Holy Grail
37. Anchorman
36. Mallrats
35. Beverly Hills Cop
34. Tommy Boy
33. School of Rock
32. Revenge of the Nerds
31. National Lampoon's Vacation
30. Austin Powers (the first one)
29. Best in Show
28. Three Amigos
27. Blazing Saddles
26. Trading Places
T25. Happy Gilmore
T24. Billy Madison
23. This Is Spinal Tap
22. Meet the Parents
21. Nothing to Lose (seriously)
20. Coming to America
19. Office Space
18. Groundhog Day
17. Animal House
16. Arthur
15. The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy version)
14. The Jerk
13. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
12. Airplane!
11. Rushmore
10. Wet Hot American Summer
9. Super Troopers
8. Dazed and Confused
7. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
6. Naked Gun: Files from the Police Squad!
5. Caddyshack
4. Fletch
3. Bottle Rocket
2. The Big Lebowski
1. Waiting for Guffman

(Honorable mention: Fargo, Dirty Work, The Ref, Christmas Vacation, Fast Times, Clerks, City Slickers, Clueless, Zoolander, and if American Psycho were a true comedy, it'd surely make the list)

I find some faults in my own list. For starters, it's very contemporary, shorter on classics than the average and somehow completely devoid of Woody Allen. I apologize to that man. Also, movies I like better as a whole are ranked lower than their purely comedic counterparts -- for example, of Eddie Murphy's entire catalogue, I think Coming to America and Trading Places are the better flicks, but I've never laughed harder in my life than the first time I saw the dinner scenes of The Nutty Professor. Hence, funnier, and higher on the Slack List.

The beauty of lists like these are how frequently we change our own choices, and how differently we view what we see. So, if we're ever to have an interactive post, now's the time. Weigh in with your thoughts and maybe a Top 10...

25 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

"Nothing to Lose" is very underrated. Martin Lawrence in his prime is quite funny, and he provided one of my favorite movie quotes when he said "Keys and your wallet, bbiiiiiiiittcch". Obviously, it looks stupid in print. But whenever I hear that line I just crack up. It's just the way he says it.

Overall, I agree with the list.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger MDS said...

My list:

10. There's Something About Mary
9. Airplane
8. Pulp Fiction
7. Office Space
6. Radio Days
5. Kingpin
4. Coming to America
3. Best in Show
2. The Naked Gun
1. Clerks

A few notes:
--I know there's going to be some disagreement about whether Pulp Fiction belongs on this list, but I really think there are some wonderfully hilarious moments that get overlooked. (The most overlooked laugh is the nod of appreciation that Winston Wolf gives to Jimmy's coffee shortly after Jimmy has informed Jules that he knows how good his coffee is.)
--Every one of these movies was made in my lifetime. I love old movies and have seen most of the older ones on the AFI list, but I think humor is generational in nature and it's pretty rare for someone to really appreciate humor of any generation other than his own. (Although if I had to pick an 11th movie, it would probably be Young Frankenstein, which was made before I was born.)
--There are two Farrelly brothers movies, and two Zucker brothers movies on my list. If you had asked me to name my favorite directors I wouldn't have named either of those sibling pairs, but I should probably reconsider.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Yeah, there's a line there with movies like Pulp Fiction...I was just emailing with Scuffy McGee, who asked me why I didn't put Die Hard 3 on there. It's a very funny movie at times, but I wouldn't consider it to be a comedy. Then again, it's "Funniest Movies," not "Funniest Comedies," so I see what you got there. Still, PF doesn't make my list because it doesn't fit my criteria. For you, well, you're welcome to do whatever you want.

Also, Scuffy pointed out that I totally biffed on Spaceballs and Back to School, and I agree. I agree big time. I suck.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

Yeah, "Spaceballs" was going to be my only addition, and in the Top 10 at that. Plus, for my money, "Naked Gun" has to be in the Top 5. It's the principle of the thing. Plus I think "City Slickers" cracks my list. But great call on "The Ref" - that has been on my Top Underrated Movies list for years.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger hoobs said...

No Ghostbusters!!??

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous mitch said...

On my list of funniest movies always has to go the two "The Gods Must Be Crazy" movies and "Johnny Dangerously". Just off the top of my head.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger MDS said...

I hate it when I make a list like this and forget a biggie. I think the reason I forgot is that it's a documentary, but "American Movie" should absolutely, positively, be in my Top 5.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

No Ghostbusters...that movie scared me more than it tickled me! Also, I haven't seen it in years, and the last time I saw it I didn't laugh much.

Johnny Dangerously is a classic, that one definitely makes the Honorable Mention list. Nice call, Aguado.

Ace Ventura II almost made it -- that movie rawks.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger ethan said...

mds - great call on american movie. family guy referenced it recently. the scene where they are trying to smash the guy's head through the cabinet is astounding.

good list ace. i generally think birdcage is underrated - glad to see it made the cut.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger ethan said...

actually i see a glaring omission - the royal tennebaums.

i don't think i've ever met someone who likes rushmore but not tRT.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Who says I don't like tRT? I liked it a lot actually...but I didn't think it was in my Top 50 funniest movies. Or maybe it is and I just didn't think so last night. But, either way, it wasn't an unintentional omission...

I personally rank Wes' works in order of their debut: BR > Rush > tRT > Zissou. That's how I sees 'em.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Rashid Muhammad said...

Perhaps it's the fact that I was as aspiring rapper when it came out, but Fear of a Black Hat has to make any comedy list for me.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Guss said...

Do we really think Ben Stiller is that funny? How many movies are on that list that he was in?!?!

 
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Greg said...

I thought of "Fear of a Black Hat" too... it's certainly hilarious, but it might almost seem like it's inherently wrong to include both it and "Spinal Tap".

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Rashid Muhammad said...

I labored on that point for a while Greg, but after watching the film again last night, I think that it's good enough to stand on its own.

Still, I can accept it being left off the list if the presence of "Spinal Tap" is acknowledged as the reason.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger John Flowers said...

Where's "The Bad News Bears"? and "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" or "Life of Brian".

Bravo, celebrating the arts with long obstreperous commercials and major cuts to landmarks in cinema in order to fit in those commercials.

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Greg said...

I think I'm gonna watch it again now too Rashid, thanks for planting that idea.

"Do I look like the type of person that could kill a whole bunch of white motherfuckers?!?!"

hahahaha

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

I agree with a lot of your list. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Major League though. Between Lou Brown and Harry Doyle, it's certainly the most quotable movie out there. And Flirting With Disaster? Are you kitten me? That movie has Ben Stiller at his most Ben Stiller-ish. And Ben Still is the least funny person in hollywood.

My list:
10: The Princess Bride
9: Jerry Maguire
8: Revenge of the Nerds
7: Office Space
6: Coming to America
5: Vacation
4: Outside Providence
3: Animal House
2: Caddyshack (not just because the main character is named after me)
1: Major League

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Rashid Z. Muhammad said...

It is still awesome Greg. And to further extend your quote:

"Maybe with a reason... but not on a humbug."

Ahh Harry Doyle. Good stuff indeed Paul.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

The beauty of ol' Harry Doyle is that Eucker isn't even acting in that movie. That is what we Brewer fans hear every time we listen to the crew on the radio.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

For the record, Flirting With Disaster is hilarious, and hating Ben Stiller is embarassing.

Also, Outside Providence starts off hilarious, but the second half is about as funny as a Daniel Day Lewis movie.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

We'll just have to agree to disagree there. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my opinion of Ben Stiller. But a sense of humor is exactly that: a sense. The guy isn't even a bit funny to me. Flirting with disaster was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger ismateo said...

I dig it - though for my funnybone Bottle Rocket is sure a great film but it ain't one of the funniest ever. but an oversight here that rankles my cankles is Raising Arizona. that's my favorite moving picture of all-time, see - and it's funny as hell.

also, Bruce Campbell (totally underrated as a comedian) gives one of the best comic performances of all-time in Army of Darkness. Evil Dead 2, too, but if ye gotta pick one, go with the boomstick.

my top 10:
10. Clerks
9. Office Space
8. Army of Darkness
7. Coming to America
6. Blazing Saddles
5. Caddyshack
4. Austin Powers (the only movie that has ever literally made me fall out of my theatre seat laughing)
3. Waiting for Guffman
2. Holy Grail
1. Raising Arizona

oh, and Raw would make my top 50. does that deserve consideration? well, I say probably. i mean, Raw is like 432 times funnier than Soapdish.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger ismateo said...

wait, i'm an idiot. Lebowski has to be there, too. that one's like 1A.

if you will it, dude, it is no dream.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies that were left off the list.

1. Carbon Copy(would rank around
25th on my list)
2. Who's Harry Crumb(Extremely
(funny)
3. Abbott and Costello Movies.

My Top 5 Movies
in no particular order

A. Kingpin("I don't have a cow")
B. Arthur ("You must have hated this moose")
C. Caddyshack (Hey Smells, Look
what you did to my anchor")
D. The Nutty Professor(" I had sex with Reggie's mother, rolled over twice, and I was still on the
bitc...")
E. Blazing Saddles(""Ding Dong""...I think he said the sheriff is near. No Dadblasted, I said....")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home