Tuesday, May 23, 2006

How It All Started: Chairmen

How'd I know the San Francisco trip would turn out as perfectly as planned? Frankly I'd expect nothing less after the serendipitous beginning, the postiviely strong omen at the JFK Airport. When a trip starts off with handshakes from the Chairman of the DNC and the Chairman of the Boards, you know it's gonna be special.

I never usually approach celebrities -- or however the devil it is you'd characterize Page McConnell and Dr. Howard Dean -- but this was too good to pass up. We like Page's new f*&^ing shirt, man, we sure do.

First I sauntered up to Page, who genuinely seemed happy after I praised his name and was very appreciative of his efforts through the years. We discussed his upcoming album and his lack of management, then I wished him well and went on my way, not wanting to monopolize any more of his time. I really should have asked him for some money, since he has so much of mine in his coffers.

But as I was boarding I saw him talking to Dr. Dean, so I headed off the line and made my way over to them. I approached as Page said "Yeah, I've been to a couple of Trey's shows." Then Dean saw me and said, "This guy must be from Vermont, he recognized us both." I says to him, I says, "No, just a New Yorker that's a big fan of you both."

Just an awesome way to kick off a trip in which everything worked out to sheer perfection...Leo and Deano, fantastic.

Slack E-mail Subject of the Day: Either the spammers have increasingly ridiculous random phrase generation machines or they're getting wackier in an effort to make you laugh and open the e-mail. Here's a subject line I received in my bulk mail folder yesterday: "Well, look who's here! It's God's gift to crack whores!" Classic.

Slack Starkian Trivia of the Day: In my quest to provide youse with some useless but useful shit here, I offer you our very own question and answer guy, Mr. Donnie Fiedler. "First the question -- Did any pitcher give up a home run to both Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron? And then, did any pitcher give up a home run to both Aaron and Bonds?

There may be someone else, but we know this much so far: Rick Reuschel allowed two home runs to Aaron and one to Bonds. Frank Tanana allowed one each to Aaron and Bonds. Anyone have any more info, or is that it? No Babe/Aaron connection?" --D.F.

Slack Song of the Day: In honor of my meeting Page, here's some Vida Blue from New Year's Eve 2001 at the Roseland in New York -- Jam 15, Get Ready, and Colin Jones.

10 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Anonymous stealy_fan said...

Good timing, nice pic.

So what's the new album all about?

No Lear jet?

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I think this confirms the lack of Lear Jet for Page, but as someone said on the Phish board, maybe he was doing research and he's planning to buy a used Jetblue plane for his growing hangar.

No idea about what the album is about, he just said he's workin on it and that it may be out in the fall or next spring. That's when he said he has no manager or production company, so things aren't easy.

Man, Page is awesome. He seemed almost shocked that I recognized him.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous stealy_fan said...

Cool...all the phishy's seem to be really nice folks from what I hear. I had the good fortune to meet big red himself and he was geniunely appreciative and interested in what I had to say...even though i probably acted like every other shmo who has met him. Class act.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Momentary Academic said...

Well aren't you a fancy pants! Good for you.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Washa Uffizi drive me to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York, we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan, and then we're going to Washington, D.C., to take back the White House! Yeaaaaagggggh!!!

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff Ace.. really good stuff... Love Page and the Dean.. what the heck were they doing together? Did u ask?

Fluff

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger John Flowers said...

It's like if Ben & Jerry's did their own Time 100.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Chilly Jackwater said...

Reminds me of the time I met Kinky Friedman and The Guy From The Fabulous Thunderbirds Who Wasn't Related To Stevie Ray Vaughn in a bus station. Or the time I shared a cab with Al D'Amato and The Dude Who Sounds Like Michael McDonald From God Street Wine.

(Good stuff, Ace. Quite a lil weekend you had there. Politics makes strange bedfellows, indeed.)

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Nice line, Barley...I should have fucking thought of that. Silly me.

And yes, Chilly, nice weekend indeed. And I didn't even mention the Bay to Breakers ridiculousness or the actual shows I caught (Phil AND Greyboy) at two famed venues I always wanted to see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home