Monday, June 05, 2006

Only the Strong: Paranue

We witnessed a little bit of Brasil in NYC this weekend...Leena and I strolled around the city walking LG's Dachshund yesterday (a long-haired Dachshund, leading me to make several unfunny "Get a job, ya hippiedog" jokes), ultimately wandering into my usual weekend stomping grounds, Washington Square Park.

That's where we stumbled into some Capoeira. Yes sir, I'll like my Brasilian martial art of fight-dancing best served in a concrete park and in white pants. I don't know why, but I think it's pretty funny that this is a hobby for people the way basketball or doing the crossword is. "Hey, honey, I'll be back later, I'm just gonna put on my white outfit and pretend to dance and fight in the park for a little while..."

I mean, some of these people saw The Break-Up the night before, some went to ragin' clubs and some banged three chicks at once (probably because they're super-flexible). Some stayed home to read a book, some rented the first two X-Men and some watched re-runs of 227, scoffing at Jackee's horrible attitude. And yet all of them came out and fight-danced the next day, the same way they'd wake up in anticipation of playing tennis or riding their bike around the city. Just another hobby, only this one involves fight-dancing.

Crappy pics: I hadn't planned on passing through the park and I left my trusty new digi-cam at home. So for one post only, please welcome the return of my trusty ShittyCameraPhone.

I've been a big fan of Capoeira since the early '90s movie Only the Strong, a horrendously awful flick that everyone should still see at least twice. It's so bad it's good. But as it turns out, Capoeira can be a force for good.

On the third Thursday of every month, the New York Capoeira chapter throws a benefit with some high-level moves from high-level dudes, all to collect money for this leadership program that teaches the art to at-risk youth, in an effort to bring them in off the streets. Me? I'm waiting for the day three hoodlums try to mug me, and in order to get my wallet, they do some cartwheels and kick me squarely in the face. Then I'll laugh, and fork over my cash.

Until that day, I endorse the program, and I welcome the random Capoeira in the park. I'd also like to thank the Line of Demarcation, without which we may have never developed such inspiring dance-fighting tactics. All praise be to you, Pope Alexander VI.

Slack Video of the Day: How 'bout some Capoeira videos from YouTube? Check these things out...Vid #1, Vid #2 and Vid #3.

Slack Song of the Day: I've been raiding this rbally mp3 site lately. The latest pilfer, some Jane's Addiction from Irvine Meadows -- try on some of this Been Caught Stealin', Three Days and Mountain Song.

5 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger MDS said...

The first time I saw Capoeira was like the first time I heard that Portia de Rossi was dating Ellen Degeneres: I found it odd and surprising, but once I gave it some thought I really liked it.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Only the Strong is one of the greatest movies ever. Miami is not just dominated by a vicious gang, oh no. It's dominated by a vicious gang that eschews guns in favor of dance-fighting, and only a capoeira-loving ex-military guy can whip a group of rotten high-school students into enough shape through dance-fighting to take the gang down and save the school.

They also remix traditional capoeira tunes to make them more electronicy.

An unintentional comedy masterpiece. I can't say enough about it.

Ba da na wayyy,
ba da na way,
ba da na.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Micah Hunsicker said...

My little brother used to watch Only The Strong on H.B.O. all the time! My husband and I were watching an infomercial on T.V. and saw Lou Diamond Phillips even though I do not think that he is in the movie, an alcohol fueled nastalgic trip down memory lane had us in stiches.you can find anything on ggole when you type in "Fight Dancing" HA! Ba Na Da Way

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Ivan Shanov said...

Yeah Only the strong is a real masterpiece. Great fight movie. Just want to make some comment about BA DA NA WAY.... it is actually PARANUE what they sing :) you can find the song online not so difficult :)

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Paranue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home