Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Used to Be the Owner of the World

Three and a half years ago, hundreds of anxious fans stuck on the outside of a sold-out reunion show offered anywhere from $500 to more than $1,000 to see this man perform on this stage. O, how ye once mighty, and all of that...

Nobody owned the MSG stage like Trey Anastasio for the better part of a decade. Seriously. If you've never seen a Phish show there, you probably just rolled your eyes at my bold statement. But that eyeroll is wrong, and you're a douche. That stage is Big Red's stage.

But from 12/31/02 to 6/20/06, my how things have changed. Phish is back on hiatus, or they're "done" (riiiight), and Trey has been whoring himself out to a number of different projects, spreading himself thinner than weak, soupy jam on an English muffin.

NYE 2002 was one of the most highly anticipated shows in music history for hundreds of thousands of people, but last night there weren't any more than 3,000-5,000 folks in attendance for Trey's set. Many of those people simply arrived too early for Tom Petty's headlining show, and most of those folks couldn't care less what this redheaded noodler was doing up there.

I'm a fanboy fluffer much of the time, so I loved it. I can't honestly imagine why he'd play in a four-piece band (minus the back-up chicas) with this ragtag group of musicians, but this is apparently what he wanted. And if you'd rather play for an hour to 1,500 adoring acolytes at the World's Most Famous Arena before The Great Tom Petty Singalong, so be it. I'll be there to happily lap up the Drifting, Money Love & Change, Push on 'Til the Day and First Tube. You complete me.

The Redheaded Fuckface opened last night for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, a band that knows exactly how to end every song like its the final tune of the night (99.44 percent of all reviews will obviously begin with Tom's show, but I openly admit I paid $85 mainly to see the opening act and the subsequent nostalgia fest).

Here's my question: Do people consider Petty to be a great American singer/songwriter because they believe that or because they think he talks like Bob Dylan and looks like Joni Mitchell? Me, I think the latter.

But Petty puts on a good show, a fun show, and he really knows how to get the crowd involved. He sang all his greatest hits (as did the crowd, loudly), mixed in some cool covers, and I've honestly never been to a show featuring so many band-organized clap-alongs.

Former Fleetwood Mac hussy Stevie Nicks came out to a huge ovation and sang her famous duet with Petty, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, a definite highlight for my vaginal side. Others for me included Don't Come Around Here No More (see video below), Runnin' Down a Dream and the acoustic-infused Learning to Fly.

But the real highlight of the night came when the woman behind us tapped my companion on the shoulder as he sparked up a one-y and said, "Excuse me, can you not do that? I'm ALLERGIC to it." I was *this* close to asking her if she was allergic to my cock slapping her across the forehead, but I'm too nice a guy. Allergic to pot...just be honest, lady. I'm allergic to your ruse, ma'am.

All told, a fun little evening at Madison Square: a little overpriced, a little sad to see Trey ignored, a little too kitschy, a little too campfire-y. But definitely a fun little evening.

Slack External Link of the Day: 249 Blowjobs in 14 Hours? Floris, get Guinness on the phone. This is, contrary to its title, safe for work.

Slack Internal Link of the Day: I Heart 6/21, what a great day.

Slack Song and Videos of the Day: From last night's Trey set, here's the last 1:40 of Dragonfly that I recorded and a clip from the First Tube closer that Handstand the Elder shot and uploaded to YouTube. Handstand alsp captured the last minute or so of Don't Come Around Here No More, which was probably my personal Petty highlight.

11 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger danfun said...

I thought the show last night was great but I do not get what Trey is trying to do. IMO he needs to end this band find some time to write some quality songs. That or get Phish back together or at least TAB.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PHISH WILL BE BACK

FLUFF

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Mr. Underhill said...

Girls can get strep from head? Her fluffer had to have her tonsils out? That is just f*cking hysterical. Amazing.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Agreed, Danfun...if he's gonna just fuck around like this in a four-piece, he might as well just do it with The Phish from Vermont.

I gotta think these shows take a toll on him, where he stops to think, "Man, 80,000 people used to see me play, now I've got 2,000 Petty fans sitting down and talking about what Last Dance of Mary Jane's really about while I play."

Only a matter of time...

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, Petty's set would have been even better if it wasn't for that stupid stage set up. Where did he get those lights? Did he know that lighting director from U2 and buy some shit they didnt use in 1991?

And big TV screens on stage? Fuck that shit. No need in the GARDEN. I would have been so much more into Petty's set had he just used some lights.

TREY SUCKED. I love the boy slade, I fluff and I stoke my big phat geigh cock all over is fucking red face... but come on. His entire set list blew. Flubs! I saw him open for the crowes at msg and trey gave them a run for thier money. But last night he was boring. Save for 3-4 minutes of some nice ambnient jamming. The night speaks would have been the best had jen's mike been turned up. Terrible mix...

THANK G_D FOR Trey/Mike?and the best fucking duo to ever be a duo.
I am pumped.
Sir Joe was there last night. I hope he didn't get scared!

Love a fellow FREAK!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing that most people there probably don't remember the ABC World News Tonight report on the traffic jam going to Phish's millennium show....the largest millennium show in the entire world that night

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have given strep to a girl that way. no joke....gotta be careful about that, they toss it back in your face forever (not literally).

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger ahren said...

any record achieved with a fluffer is bullshit.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Lons said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Lons said...

Imagine if you were really allergic to pot. Your entire teens and early twenties are just completely shot. It's like some horrible curse! She must have insulted a witch back in grade school or something.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous donutogre said...

I agree with basically all your thoughts about Trey. Just saw the show last night at Great Woods...Trey himself played great, but the songs are pretty boring and the crowd just doesn't care. What is he getting out of playing the same 10 songs every night? There's nothing challenging or all that creative going on here. It's very watered downn. He doesn't have to be an epic jam master if that isn't what he feels like doing, but write some songs with some balls.

That said, I still enjoyed it, it had its moments, but it was strictly average for the most part. First Tube is the only tune that I really got excited for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home