Friday, August 11, 2006

Git 'R Dun, Leafers

The lone shot of tequila at 1:15 in the morning was probably unnecessary, I'll give you that. But the slice of pizza at 3:30, well, that was essential, man. That was sustenance personified. --My Brain, 4:15 am

I'd give you more than a million guesses as to who opened for Tea Leaf Green at Mulcahy's on Lawn Gisland last night, but even that would be a sucker's bet for all of youse. Funny, I'm going to look back at this concert years from now and giggle as I recall how a "performance" by Dale Earnhardt Jr. preceded my 10th TLG show.

That's not an ironic band name like Sam Champion or Gnarls Barkley. I'm talkin' old Number 8, Son of The Intimidator, Dale effin' Junior, in the flesh, signing autographs for a raucous crowd of rabid fans that put the young TLG fanbase to shame. Kenny Alias and I exited the LIRR and found the bar packed with bluestate red-staters dressed head to toe in red and white, numero ochos abound, moustaches overcrowding upper lips and plump woman with teased hair.

Amazingly, some folks got shut out of the Dale show. And they were pissed. They were disappointed. They were ticketholders yet they were outside looking in. They were angry. They were cursing. All because they couldn't snap a pho-to of Junior at a place where "Ladies Drink Free" and "Islander Fans That Drive Camaros Get Half Off Jalapeno Poppers" on most off-nights.

What an awesome juxtaposition...NASCAR fanatics and obsessive faux hippies all coming together at Mulcahy's in support of good tunes and the HANS device. The response to Dale's signing was so intense they pushed TLG's set back a little while, but the unintentional comedy we received in return was well worth the wait.

And would you look at that? They parked Dale Sr.'s #3 Intimidator vehicle right outside the venue. Apparently it doesn't like to be photographed and cloaks itself to the best of its ability.

Tea Leaf Green itself rocked my fucking pants off last night. Well, I didn't leave pants-less, but figuratively, I don't even know what to believe. I said in my review after the CBGB show in April, "Like Phish my first 10-20 shows, TLG gets hyperbolically better every time I see them. Tighter. Looser. More Confident. They've got the swagger now. They don't take a night off. They don't take a note off."

And I can't find anything to say this brain-dead morning that can top my older sentiments. It was right then, it's more right now.

There were too many highlights from last night's show...just about every song was a rager. But for me nuthin' beats the Precious Stone > Can You Guess It? and the Can't You See cover > Warmup > California. So if you manage to hear this show on archive.org or etree and someone's continually screaming "Earnharrrrdt" or "Dale Juuuunior" into the mikes between songs, you know the Cowboy stood a little too close to the taper. Sorry, Focker.

Slack Photos of the Day: Here are a couple more pictures from last night's incredible show: Full band, Full band #2, Ben and Josh close-up, and Josh crankin' out a tune (little fuzzy).

Slack Song of the Day: No long stories today...just Van the Man joining The Band on a fantastic track called 4% Pantomime. If you've never heard this song, get on it now. Now.

11 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Borat said...

I like very much the Nascars. Because there no people with the colored faces.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Justin said...

Nice photos, I might throw a link up. :)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

By the way, in Full Band #2, there's a gnome on Trevor's keyboards. Never realized it 'til last night, but that thing is making the flute noise in Can't You See. Awesome stuff!

Justin, by the way, I'll be at The Vic on 10.21 when TLG hits town.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Justin said...

We might actually have to meet this time. :)

I love the Vic; I might try to hit that up.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I caught Dale Jr. on the Daily Show last night. I don't know what was more worse, Jr.'s deer-in-headlights performance or Jon Stewart feigning an interest in NASCAR. Although, if Jon Stewart ever sponsors a NASCAR team, the car will probably look something like this.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I thought that same thing at 3 am as I started drinking a "sixth" corona with heather. I feel like garbage today.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Kenny Alias said...

You know what other juxtaposition I thought was interesting last night was me destroying myself with liquor all night - right next to Ace who "doesn't drink at shows so he has a clear memory."

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Being that I live in Chicago, I may have to catch that Vic show.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

You only got it half-right, Kenny. I also hate to have to piss every 10 minutes. That's just as important. I pity the fool that don't know their own bladder.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger xabistuff said...

id like to focus more about dale jr.
i signed a petition regarding dale jr. keeping his no.8.. this number has a lot history. help me out guys. sign the petition too
youchoose.net/pledge/let_dale_earnhardt_keep_8/from/xavierr

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger xabistuff said...

violation of one of Nascar's rule has led dale jr to drop 100 championship points from the race.. this is really for us earnhardt fans.. but of course we will not stop our support! let us continue to make our voices heard by signing this petition, here, tel everybody!
http://youchoose.net/pledge/let_dale_earnhardt_keep_8/from/xavierr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home