Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Goodnight, Champ

I'd like to bid a fond farewell to former New York Rangers enforcer Tie Domi, who officially retired from a sport called "hockey" last night. The guy was as tall as James Madison, but with Dolly's teeth, and he took on every other team's biggest fighter on a nightly basis.

I wrote on this here rag in November 2004: "I remember vividly in 1992 when the 22-year-old Domi challenged reigning league enforcer Bob Probert (a guy so mean he would punch your wife in the tits if given the chance, and maybe that's because his parents named him Robert Probert) to a fight immediately following a face-off. Despite giving up six inches, Domi ripped Probert's jersey straight over his head and pounded his face without so much as a hint of stopping. When the fight broke up, Probert was bloodied, and Domi skated off the face strapping an imaginary heavyweight belt around his waist. From that moment on, he was a Ranger, and a favorite at that."

So, in honor, I present the fight that made Domi a household name:



Domi was a fucking beast, and he'll forever have a place in the Garden and in the hearts of many New Yorkers. Here's a special YouTube tribute to that lovable stick-riding bastard. You the man, Tie.

7 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Pat Lafontaine scored on Domi's wife said...

good riddance, he's a disgrace to the game. hard checking and things like that are one thing but fighting after the play is just lame.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Boski93 said...

They just don't make Finnish goons like this any more.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

I remember that game. I knew that I wasn't going to able to watch it live, so I taped it just so I wouldn't miss the fight. BTW, Tie Domi is Albanian-Canadian, not Finnish. I don't think there has even been a Finnish enforcer in the NHL.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Boski93 said...

Holy Jim Beluish. I always thought he was. I should know better than that. Again I have Saku'd all over my Koivu.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your favorite Tie Domi factoid? Mine's the fact that his full name is an anagram for "ME IDIOT".

Apropos,no?

Don't glorify talentless goons.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Talentless goons have a place in hockey...that's why it's such an intriguing sport. A goon can also bring your team a win through sheer energy. Recognize.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Greg said...

I certainly don't approve of some of Tie's antics and behaviour, but fighting in hockey is most certainly not lame. It's a hell of a lot more appropriate than intentionally throwing a pitch at someone's head, for instance. If one's played Junior (or even high level minor) hockey or better where these kinds of things do happen, they will have a better appreciation for it... usually I think those kinds of excuses are retarded, but I truly believe that's the case here.

That being said, I've never dug the idea of having players that can fight but not play, but Tie wasn't really like that for thye middle portion of his career... he wasn't going to set the world on fire, but he could certainly take his 8-10 minutes a night as a 4th liner and not cost your team at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home