Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Where's Waldo? More Like, Where's DeShawn?

What's with all the Pale HighGrounders at the Superdome last night? How can ESPN show crowd shots of black people to garner sympathy ratings if they can't even find them? Maybe Reggie Bush doesn't care about black people, either.

But I'd like to issue a serious congratulations to the New Orleans Saints, which came out and energized the city with a merciless victory over a Falcons team that everybody loves this year. I kept thinking back to what it felt like being at Yankee Stadium for Game Five of the 2001 World Series after 9/11, and it really choked me up in a good way to know that people left that stadium feeling just a little bit better about themselves for however fleeting the moment.

That's all I got right now. I could relay an awesome coincidence about a cellist named Peter randomly playing Bach's G Major outside my apartment last night as I stood choked up from the pre-game intro and that flashback to 2001 (West Wing fans, that piece ring any bells?), but I'd rather self-nip that and try to demonstrate I'm not a complete babbling mess without a proper filter.

And because I gots me some work to do today, I will now bid you all a good day and hope you get to meet Jackee in your travels. Maaary!

Slack Link of the Day: More evidence for the America's Moving Backwards file: "Frisco [Texas] school trustees aren't renewing the contract of a veteran art teacher who was reprimanded because a student saw a nude sculpture during a museum visit." I hope for sanity's sake that there's a more justified reason for this ridiculous decision, that he molested some kid in the janitor's closet or something. I can only hope. Otherwise, eeesh.

Slack Video of the Day: That article put me in the mood to laugh, so this morning we turn to the comedy stylings of the late Mitch Hedberg: Enjoy this 11-minute video. I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up."

Slack Song of the Day: Let's throw down some of the ol' Lucious Bobby Dylan from the 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert -- Tell Me Momma, Baby Let Me Follow You Down, and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues.

6 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

Life imitates the Simpsons, once again. I told you (s)he was soft on full frontal nudity!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

I was just listening to that album this weekend and after dozens of listenings it still blows my mind. it's my personal favorite of all the Dylan bootlegs. I know its sorta cliched because it's "the famous one" and all that, but it's pretty mindblowing still. Great call.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger spinachdip said...

Dude, don't you know all the black people stayed in Houston because they liked those cots on the Astrodome floor so much more than their own houses.

Also, boo-urns to the World Wide Leader giving no love to New Orleans music. I mean, no Fats Domino? Shit, Li'l Wayne has a whole song dedicated to SportsCenter on his mixtape. And I'm sure Quintron & Miss Pussycat would've played if they were asked.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Great call, Hodge. It's always disappointing when you leave something on the table like that. But the Slack Community that never fails to pick a brotha up. Kudos bar to you. And Kudos bars to me for using "brotha" in everyday conversation.

1966 is definitely the famous one, but I gotta think there's a reason for that. It's just magnificent. I love how, ya know, RAW, it sounds. And lyrically, just listening to him on Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat makes you want to be his closest confidant.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

"Also, boo-urns to the World Wide Leader giving no love to New Orleans music. I mean, no Fats Domino? Shit, Li'l Wayne has a whole song dedicated to SportsCenter on his mixtape. And I'm sure Quintron & Miss Pussycat would've played if they were asked."

I mentioned that yesterday, Dip...I mean, are you fucking kidding me? How are Green Day and the Foo Fighters a good fit for New Orleans (oh wait, it was the Goo Goo Dolls wasn't it?)? Then again, after seeing the pale hue of the crowd last night, it makes sense why they chose U2 over The Doctah. The Night Tripper in the Superdome!

As Robbie Robertson says, "Y'all know the Doctor, Doctor John, Mack Rebennack?" He could played Right Place, Wrong Time and brought down the house...or more appropriately, Such a Night.

Oh, and, uh, who is Lil Wayne?

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger spinachdip said...

Ah, I seen I haven't kept up with the Slack, but in my defense, the Madden Curse has struck me (and Shaun Alexander to a lesser extent) pretty hard.

Li'l Wayne? He's a surviving (career-wise) member of Juvenile's Cash Money Crew, the delightful gentlemen who popularized the term "bling bling". Village Voice's Tom Breihan thinks he's the greatest rapper alive. I think he's quite tolerable as far as Southern rap goes, which isn't saying much, but he had a memorable performance on Leno with Robin Thicke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home