Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hi, I'm Lyyyyle

I think Joe Rogan gets a bum rap. Why don't people like this guy?

We got to know him as a vital cast member on the most underrated sitcom of the 1990s, NewsRadio. He was also part of one of Dave Chappelle's most unheralded sketches ever, "Great New York Boobs."

He's a martial arts expert, earning a black belt at age 15 and winning four state Taekwondo championships. He's a fan of psychadelic drugs, ranting once about the greatness of DMT. And he's an outspoken opponent of joke thieves in the comedy world, once famously schooling Carlos Mencia. About the only poor decisions he made by my standards came from affixing his semi-star to Fear Factor and The Man Show redux, but I'm betting he got nice paydays out of them, and I'm willing to give him a pass on those underwhelming roles.

So when people dog the guy, I truly don't get all the hate. I'm not his biggest fan -- in fact, this post is by far the longest I've ever gone thinking about his career in one sitting -- but I do think he's a pretty cool dude. Anyway, I saw this clip today of Joe Rogan schooling a female heckler, and I thought I'd post it here.



Well done, Rogan, well done. No use of the n-word either, we love it.

Slack Link of the Day: Seriously, I'm done with the state of Florida. That place is too far gone, and it seems like every idiotic and backwards story comes from the Sunshine State. Mr. Bush, if you want to redeem your presidency, go ahead and cede that fucker back to Spain. The latest incident involves a 19-year-old suicidal kid ramming his car into the mall, Blues Brothers style.

Slack Video of the Day: While we're on the topic of collaborating with Dave Chappelle today, here's a video I just posted on HT of Mos Def performing one of them there freestyle raps on an early episode of Dave's show. I love this thing.

Slack Song of the Day: Gone Daddy Gone, Violent Femmes

7 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous HANDSTAND said...

I usually get a much louder reaction when I ask which girls in the room want to fuck me right now, but that was pretty good too.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

I was genuinely amazed at the amount of women that clearly wanted to bang the nuts off him.

Joe Rogan, who knew?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger NewmRadio said...

I honestly may have NEVER thought about Joe Rogan at all, but I sure did appreciate his heckler-handling. I think heckler-handling is gonna be a new spectator sport since regular people are all into it now, post-Kramer.

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous okaycantor said...

stat boy says that the mos def song is actually not a freestyle. it is a song called close edge on his album, the new danger. otherwise, a clean post.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Greg said...

Close Edge is probably one of the best things that Mos Def has done without Talib Kweli I think. If I remember correctly (i can't access YouTube at work), Dave is kind of entertaining and awkward in the car trying to figure out what the hell he's supposed to be doing too, since he doesn't have any verses and can't exactly be shakin his ass in the driver's seat...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Cantor, that's why you're on retainer...good spot.

And yeah, Greg, Chappelle's timid facial expressions and awkward body movements are pretty flippin' sweet, too.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger John Flowers said...

Loved Rogan on "NewsRadio". An ex-roommate of mine and I can still make each other laugh with a line of Rogan's from that show. Someone asked if the pie (i think) he was eating was "lemon zest". And Rogan just walked right by him, didn't stop eating and said, "You know it, dude."

Delivery = 10 out of 10. (his, not mine, obviously)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home