Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rocky Balboa Awaits

Hate to leave youse in the lurch, but I'm off to see the latest (and greatest?) installment of the Stallone vehicles in a few. I pray to the God of Superfluous Motion Pictures that there's a line like "You knock him down now why you don't try knockin' me down" in this one. In or out, something tells me I'm gonna like this one.

What I don't like is New York Jets' safety Kerry Rhodes' Pro Bowl snub. Sure the Pro Bowl means about as much as a Drago/Creed exhibition match, and of course nobody really watches it, but how can you leave this man off the team? John Lynch? For real? I'll mail $10 to anyone that can make an overly convincing argument for Lynch over Rhodes.

As Dick Clark would say, "Ready....go."

Slack Video of the Day: Live action Transformers movie? Sweeeet.

Slack Song of the Day: A day after some of my favorite bands filed a lawsuit against the ever-so-awesome Wolfgang's Vault, the good people release a great Rick Danko show to the masses. Danko owns my face, my car, my apartment, and my sister. Some of you thought I didn't have a sister. Now you know why.

AFTERNOON ROCKY UPDATE: I just got back and I gotta say, the whole thing’s quite believable and completely worth the price of admission. It could definitely be subtitled The Rocky Monologues for all the sage advice he doles out to himself and others throughout, but the main premise totally works, and the formula still carries the weight (adversity > reflection > finding friends > reflection > training scene > big fight as the underdog > respect everywhere > teary-eyed ending). Stick with what works, and you know what, there was no better way to tie up this franchise neatly. After the fifth installment, I equate this one to a Phish reunion at MSG that brings me back into the roll and makes me forget about Coventry. Grade: B+/A-

11 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger spinachdip said...

I just saw that Transformer teaser this morning, and what little remained of my childhood died when I saw the words "Michael" and "Bay".

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Lozo said...

"Ready...go!"

"OK, ummm, he was really good four years ago, ummm, hits guys really hard..."

"Lennox Lewis!"

"No, ummmm, white guy, basically living on reputation now..."

"John Lynch!"

"Right! OK, ummm, hmmm, ummmm, I've never heard of this guy, ummmm, I think he's on the Jets...maybe. No, yeah, the Jets..."

"Curtis Martin!"

"No. Ummmm, maybe he plays defense? Not Chad Pennington..."

"Jeff Lageman!"

"No. Ummmm..."

Time's up! We were looking for Kerry Rhodes there. Kerry, Rhodes. OK, The Lucky Seven is still on the board....

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

Josh Duhamel + Live Action Transformers Movie = orgasm at my desk.

Wait, what?

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger brickmyers said...

who the fuck is josh duhamel?

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Alex Fritz said...

"who the fuck is josh duhamel?"

He's the guy that's going to kick your phony goldbricking ass.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Chilly Jackwater said...

Hey Ace...Danko died in 1999. You may be able to reclaim any possessions you may have lost to him. Just a thought! Although, he very well may have sold your car and your sister for an ounce of some truly splendid China White. Maybe we can doubleback, regroup and touch base after our next meeting to discuss setting up a task force to look into it next quarter. (Oh sorry, I thought I was writing an office email)

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goldbricking?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger jakezebra said...

It's a movie quote...from The Big Duhamel, I think.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Claven said...

WAIT! I thought the Transformers all came here for energon cubes? What's all this killing and protecting all about? Michael Bay cannot be trusted with historical pieces anymore. C'mon, like Kate Beckinsale would've had fake tits in 1941.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger NewmRadio said...

I wonder what Transformers would look like dancing to jam-band music.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger jakezebra said...

If a wook was doing the robot, it would probably be something akin to that......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home