Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Wait, Hold It, Lemme Get This Straight...

Tell me which is worse: The fact that my biggest television guilty pleasure is the occasional Deal Or No Deal episode or the fact that this contestant has made over his entire physical appearance so that he's looked just like Howie Mandel since the show debuted?

Wait, I know the answer, and it's not me. I swear it's not.

So let me get this all sorted out in my head here: Of the world's six and a half billion people, and of this country's 300 million, the man you've chosen to emulate almost to the point of scary single white female obsession is fucking Howie Mandel? Are you shitting me? Are you (Yahoo) serious? Shit, now that I say his name, I think molding your appearance to look like Yahoo Serious makes more sense to me.

All my life I've wanted to look exactly like a C-level celebrity, and this contestant is living my very dream. He's the one that gets to answer, "Yes, I've been told that!" when passersby ask him, "Holy shit, anyone ever tell you that you look just like that awfully unfunny comedian who used to blow up a rubber glove on his head in a patethtic attempt to get people to laugh with him?" That's gotta be a fun conversation.

Good for you, Fake Howie, or whatever your real name is (I'm guessing it's not Fowie Fandel). You say your daughters love it and I believe you. So if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go convince my mom to re-make herself into Elayne Boosler and my dad into Dom Irrera.

Slack Link of the Day: This middle-school teacher is so unmistakably moronic that I'll just excerpt the cop's statement: "She learned her lesson. Program your dealers into your phone."

Slack Video of the Day: For a look back at the dawning of the Age of Aquarius and the burgeoning psychedelic movement, check out this strangely inviting 1966 promo clip of Donovan’s Sunshine Superman.

Slack Song of the Day: One of my old favorites has come home to roost -- here's that wicked Plane Crash from the Treymoe.deski Tsunami Benefit at the Roseland Ballroom in February 2005.

8 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Patrick Walsh said...

Ever seen the Howie Mandel vehicle "Walk Like A Man?" He plays a man/dog who gets taken in by fellow A-lister Christopher Lloyd. Naturally, hijinks ensue.

Believe it or not, it isn't very good.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Mr. Underhill said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Of course, I used to love that movie, actually...it was on ALL the time as a kid.

He's also semi-fantastic in Blake Edwards' A Fine Mess, starring the lovable Ted Danson, Howie and Empty Nest's Richard Mulligan. That movie sucked, but I watched it nonstop.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Mr. Underhill said...

Young Einstein and Bobby's World were superior artistic achievements. I'm a bit offended that you obliquely offended them both.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure that dude isn't tryig to look like Jack Nicholson? Or maybe Jack's trying to look like Howie too. It all makes sense now.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous okaycantor said...

I am just mad this deal or no deal contestant stole my gimmick to get on the show. repeatedly, i kept saying 'that's my gimmick' last night as i watched this, slowly increasing in volume...until i took out my deal or no deal home edition game.

oh yeah, ace, it is the bomb..

by the way, why does mr. underhill always use such big, complicated words and phrases? what does obliquely mean? he must work in a law firm or something...

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Mr. Underhill said...

To answer okayhater's question, I use big words because I am hung like a pimple and it makes me feel better about myself.

I, too, know what it is like to have played the home edition - it's fun but the technology is seriously flawed.

And obliquely means an old, wooden ship.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Eliot said...

Wha-wha-what the fuuuuuuck? Really, dude? HOWIE MANDEL???

Also, nice name drop on The Boos. Love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home