Monday, March 12, 2007

Alive Again

Rumors of my death have been...well, kind of on target. To borrow a line from Marcellus Wallace, I'm pretty fucking far from okay.

I honestly thought about bagging the Langerado trip altogether, but really, what fun would that be? So I sacked up, flew down to Florida with a fever and turned in potentially my finest hour of fighting through illness to have some fun. I'm doing a curtsy right now.

The festival itself was incredible, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen two straight days of such amazing music. I'll spare youse the review and just point you over to Hidden Track where I'll be discussing this weekend in-depth. But, man, wow, shit, that was sweet.

Here was my weekend setlist (I managed to catch some, most or all of the following sets, all of which were simply awesome):

Soundcheck (THursday night): Trey Anastasio @ Revolution

Set I (Friday): The Heavy Pets > Dubsconscious > Assembly of Dust > Tea Leaf Green > Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings > Galactic > The Hold Steady > Bela Fleck & the Flecktones > moe. > Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks > Trey Anastasio

Set II (Saturday): Toubab Krewe > The Slip > Soulive > Langerado Press Conference > Greyboy Allstars > Perpetual Groove > JJ Grey & MOFRO > MMW > Blackalicious > Michael Franti & Spearhead > My Morning Jacket > Disco Biscuits

Encore: None, I passed on Sunday and hopped on an earlier flight

I may not have died this weekend, but comedian Richard Jeni did. He either died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, or as the CNN article I just linked to indicates, Chris Rock may have shot him. Regardless, I loved Richard Jeni. His Platypus Man HBO Special was a staple of my youth. He cracked my shit up sometimes, especially his bit about how NFL referees should use the mike to discuss their personal problems. So Richard Jeni, this one's for you.

Slack Videos of the Day: Nothing from Platypus Man on YouTube? That's weak sauce. Here's the best I could do from the Jeni camp -- PMS and Red Wine, Political Parties, Gay Baby and Martha Stewart.

Slack Song of the Day: Boston lead singer Brad Delp also passed away this weekend, though not from a gunshot wound to the face. Either way, sad stuff. In tribute to Mr. Delp, here's Foreplay/Long Time, Rock & Roll Band, and More Than a Feeling.

Slack Link of the Day: It's Tourney Time again, and I know nothing. I've been following the college basketball season fairly closely, not expert status, but I've seen enough to know what's what. And I feel confident about 12 of the first 32 games, and I'll probably lose those. But there is one site you should bookmark and routinely check over the next few weeks, and that's SI.com's Tourney Blog. Do it.

1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Lozo said...

you and me both on platypus man. i must have watched that 100 times back in the day. i always liked his riff on picking out lobsters at a restaurant.

"bring me the brown one! he amuses me!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home