Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cactus League Crap

Believe it or not, I'm off to the well-trafficked state of Mississippi today. I hope there's a burning of some sort, but I'm not gonna go in expecting it. Just would be a nice bonus, ya know?

So in lieu of any semblance of a solid post, I'm gonna take this opportunity to post five selected pics from the Cactus League Spring Training trip that I think most accurately exude the good times in Arizona. Up first we've got three fatties surveying the scene from the outfield grass at the Brewers v. Angels game in Surprise, AZ. It's a gorgeous photo in all respects. Ithaca is gorges. So is Surprise.

With passover coming up, here's a solid shot of the Brewers' Kevin Mench on first and Eddie Sedar as the first-base coach. Mench and Sedar? That's a good night for almost-Jew jersey names.

Welcome back, Eric Gagne. And welcome back to the Juice, man. Good Lord. This guy could basically be Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart with a little grooming and some pink spandex.

We walked into Tempe Diablo Stadium on Saturday for the Rockies v. Angels game, and this was the first pitch we saw upon entering. Not a bad day when you walk into a small stadium in a warm-weather climate and the first thing you see is Whoopi Goldberg Vlad Guerrero about to beat the shit out of the ball like it's a mouthy woman.

On the way out we caught this advertisement on the back of one of the many bike-pedaled rickshaws -- I mean, I know that's actually a really nice honor and all for Thunder Dan and his establishment, but anyone else find it strange they're bragging about being 11th best? And they really want us to join them before and after every event? What constitutes an event? I say we hit Majerle's place, then go over and run a train through his wife, then hit the bar again.

And that's really all that happened anyway...Phoenix, good times.

5 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger Matty Mac said...

My dad lives within walking distance of that stadium in Surprise(!), AZ, yet he has been to a total of one game since he moved there 3+ years ago. He could have also been one of the fat women in that picture, I haven't talked to him in a while. I'll call and ask.

Matty Mac reporting from lovely Columbia, SC, where the civil war hasn't really ended yet.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Jude said...

MUUU-HAHAHAHA!

...Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart...

nice to see a reference to the man who helped stunt Bret Hart's meteoric singles career. In homage to him, i'm stroking my goatee vigorously...and blurting out a wicked laugh to serve as a period for my thoughts

Fucking yikes already, Ace.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Lozo said...

i wish i had known you were going. i would have paid you good money to assassinate ozzie guillen for me.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Claven said...

A couple year my alma mater (Maryland) pitched itself as a "top 17 nationally-ranked public research university." I was almost happy when Merrimen got busted this year. Only so we could go back to some normal level of collective shame.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Chris said...

Spring is in the air. I'm getting that warm, fuzzy feeling inside, even when I know that my overrated team will ultimately tank by mid-August. These are the good times.

And yes, Ithaca is Gorges. Thanks for the shout-out to the town of my alma mater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home