Friday, April 27, 2007

On the Rocks

So the first Democratic debate among presidential candidates took place last night. Anyone realize that? I sure as shit did not. I also don't particularly care, but that's another story for another time.

I didn't realize that there's a former senator from Alaska in the Dems' race. Show of hands, who here's heard the name Mike Gravel? I had a Major League "Who are these fuckin' guys?" moment when I saw his name. But after reading the transcripts of the debate and his personal website, I'm guessing the Howard Beale "mad as hell" candidate will become a household name over the next few weeks and months. He's Kucinich, only with chops. And real experience. And gravitas.

Gravel won't be elected, and he won't even come close. But he's there to keep the bigs honest, a role Kucinich and Sharpton played in the last go-round. I like him for two reasons, the first of which centers around the fact that he's actually fairly famous in politics and yet I've never heard of him 'til last night. Check out this snippet from his bio:

"In 1971, he waged a successful one-man filibuster for five months that forced the Nixon administration to cut a deal, effectively ending the draft in the United States. He is most prominently known for his release of the Pentagon Papers, the secret official study that revealed the lies and manipulations of successive U.S. administrations that misled the country into the Vietnam War." A five-month filibuster to block the draft? Damn, that's good times. Um, thanks?

The other reason I like him? I'm hoping he fucks something up early and the newspapers write "Gravel Off to a Rocky Start."

Man, that joke rocks. I fucking love myself.

Slack Link of the Day: Here's a good one: "An obsessed fan tried to run over the husband of Sandra Bullock in an attack at the couple's home in California, police said Thursday." Can you imagine loving Bullock so much that you'd run over her husband? What a world.

Slack Song and Video of the Day: You just turn your pretty head and walk away...best song ever? Up there.



I'm getting really lazy with this blog. Lo siento, senors y senoritas.

6 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace,

Love that song.. I was fortunate to be at show the last time they played it in Irvine CA. Love it!

Great show to boot:

Thursday, October 5, 2000
Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Irvine, CA


Set I: Chalk Dust Torture, Guyute, Wolfman's Brother > Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Limb by Limb, Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown, Beauty of My Dreams, Axilla, Horn, Possum
Set II: Drowned > NICU, David Bowie, Halley's Comet > Walk Away, Piper, Character Zero
Encore: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Show Notes: Piper closed with an atypical jam. Character Zero ended with a slow jam where Trey quoted the lyrics to FEFY.

FLUFF

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

My favorite is the 6/29/00 show at PNC: Meastick > Cities > Walk Away, Antelope. The transition from Cities to Walk Away is so fucking seemless. Awesome stuff.

There's also a great Walk Away tease in the 11/19/97 second set in between the epic 2001 and the epic Wolfman's. I miss the Phish.

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best show ever...

who gives a shit > hippie bullshit > shitty drum solo > fuck yerslf.

Thursday Octember 54th 2075
SpaceFag Theatre, Oklahoma, Missouri

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ha, that does sound like a great show. The SpaceFag Theatre is one of my favorite places in the country to see a show.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger mike said...

this lazy post sponsored and researched by roommate glaser.

lazy man. lazy.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss PHEESH 2

Fluff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home